Textkit Logo

Breathing marks... .

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Breathing marks... .

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:10 pm

I've changed my keyboard settings to Greek polytonic (on Word 2007 using a Vista computer) which means that I can type in Greek: αβγδ... . I've worked out how to add accents (ά) although am studying Koine Greek from Wenham who avoids accents in his Elements. Anyway, I can't work out how to add rough or smooth breathing marks to my vowels. Can anyone give me a clue please...? Thank you!
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Breathing marks... .

Postby jaihare » Thu May 28, 2009 3:17 pm

David333 wrote:I've changed my keyboard settings to Greek polytonic (on Word 2007 using a Vista computer) which means that I can type in Greek: αβγδ... . I've worked out how to add accents (ά) although am studying Koine Greek from Wenham who avoids accents in his Elements. Anyway, I can't work out how to add rough or smooth breathing marks to my vowels. Can anyone give me a clue please...? Thank you!

It's the same. You just have to hit the right key before your vowel.

' gives ἀ (smooth breathing).
" gives ἁ (rough breathing).
/ gives ἄ (smooth breathing with acute).
? gives ἅ (rough breathing with acute).
\ gives ἂ (smooth breathing with grave).
| gives ἃ (rough breathing with grave).
= gives ἆ (smooth breathing with circumflex).
+ gives ἇ (rough breathing with circumflex).

Regards,
Jason
Jason Hare
jaihare@gmail.com

τοὺς θεοὺς εὔχομαί σοι διδόναι ὑγίειαν καὶ σωτηρίαν καὶ ἀγαθὰ πολλά.
jaihare
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Thank you so much! I can now do what appears to be a rough breathing if I look very closely at my screen - ἀ. There doesn't seem to be any way of doing a smooth breathing without an accompanying accent though; is this right...?
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Okay, I've been playing. On reflection, here are my results:-

Circumflex - ᾶ
Circumflex with smooth breathing - ἆ
Grave accent - ὰ
Acute accent - ά
Smooth breathing with grave - ἂ
Smooth breathing with acute - ἄ

I think that I'm missing all of the possible rough breathings. Any advice please...? When you suggest " plus the vowel for a rough breathing, I don't actually have a " button: it's only shift plus 2 on my English keyboard and " isn't on the Greek keyboard. Sorry if I'm asking really obvious questions! Thanks again...
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Postby modus.irrealis » Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 pm

If a key gives you X + smooth breathing, then shift plus that key gives you X + rough breathing. So ' gives you just smooth breathing, but " = shift + ' gives you the rough breathing.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:40 pm

modus.irrealis wrote:If a key gives you X + smooth breathing, then shift plus that key gives you X + rough breathing. So ' gives you just smooth breathing, but " = shift + ' gives you the rough breathing.

Thank you! It does work. Thank you so much both of you for your help!

[Edited because of initial stupidity]
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Final question! By playing around I've managed to get a cedilla beneath a vowel - ῳ - but I'm struggling to get a cedilla underneath and another accent above the ω. Any ideas...?
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Postby modus.irrealis » Thu May 28, 2009 6:11 pm

You have to hold down the right alt key to add the iota subscript, so ᾷ is right-alt + [, ᾂ is right-alt + shift + \, and so on.

This only doesn't work for ᾳ which you've already got, and ᾴ which you get by right-alt + Q.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Thank you so much! I really do appreciate your help. Somebody needs to write this stuff down somewhere! I really did try googling it... . That should have been my final answer but I'm tempted to ask how you get a Greek semi-colon... :wink:
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Postby modus.irrealis » Thu May 28, 2009 6:42 pm

You mean ·? That's right-alt + shift + ]

; is q + space (or the way I do it q + q + backspace ;))
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby David333 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Thank you! I think that I finally have Mark 9 copied from my Nestle-Aland to my laptop, complete with unlearnt accents and fully memorised breathing marks. Now to exegete it :wink:
David333
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Cilionelle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 am

Cilionelle
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek