new testament greek-translation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
smmpm
Textkit Neophyte

new testament greek-translation

Post by smmpm »

Hi everyone!<br /><br />Can anybody give me the literal translation of John 1:3? <br /><br />thanks!

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:new testament greek-translation

Post by Elucubrator »

Word for word:<br /><br />all things | through | him | came to pass, | and | without | him | there came to pass | not even | one thing | which | has come to pass.<br /><br />A slightly smoother translation:<br /><br />All things through him came to pass, and without him there came to pass not even one of the things which are.<br /><br />And then:<br /><br />All things came to pass through him, and without him not even one of the things that exist came to pass.<br /><br />And even more loosely:<br /><br />All things came to pass through him, and without him not a single thing came to pass.<br /><br />Who was it that wrote this? Gorgias? :)<br /><br />best,<br /><br />-S.

smmpm
Textkit Neophyte

Post by smmpm »

thsnk you very muuuuuuuuuuuuuch! ::)

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

You mean John I.3 was tougher than I.1 ? :o !!!<br />What is the logos?<br /><br />I tried in the past to understand that verse. The most elegant translation, in my view, that I could come up with to render "logos" was:<br /><br />"the inward thought, expressed"<br /><br />So the verse would read "In the beginning was the 'inward thought expressed'." Have you got an opinion on that one?<br /><br />What does the first verse of John mean to you? I have a way of reading it, but I don't know whether it would be considered a correct reading or a heresy. :)<br /><br />Hope to hear back from you soon,<br /><br />Sebastian

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I think that "inward thought expressed is nice but not complete. It is God's thought expressed, kai qeoj hn o( logoj<br />The meaning of logoj in 1:1 is clarified in 1:14,Kai o( logoj sarc egeneto kai eskhnwsen en h(min..... And the word became flesh and lived among us....<br />Was I helpful??