Hi All

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ben Asaph
Textkit Neophyte

Hi All

Post by Ben Asaph »

Hi All
There doesn't appear to be a forum for Classical Hebrew. Is this an oversight or should i be looking somewhere else!!
thanks
aL

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hi All

Post by jaihare »

Ben Asaph wrote:Hi All
There doesn't appear to be a forum for Classical Hebrew. Is this an oversight or should i be looking somewhere else!!
thanks
aL
Textkit focuses on Greek and Latin. The focus helps the site stay on topic and provide great answers. It wouldn't be as effective if the door were opened to all languages -- classical Hebrew, classical Arabic, classical Chinese, classical Spanish.... There are other places to focus your questions and learning on Hebrew and other languages. First of all, there is the WordReference forum. They have a decent forum for modern Hebrew, but you can bring up questions specifically related to the classical form of the language, I'm sure. My own forum exists with two purposes: (1) discussion and study of the Hebrew language and (2) Jewish and Interfaith discussions. You're welcome to come there and ask questions about Hebrew, even start a study if you can get others to join you. You can use the forum as you wish. (But, be mindful that it's not a Christian forum and that evangelism is completely out of place.)

There's also a free online Biblical Hebrew grammar for beginners. It is called Ancient Hebrew: A Student Grammar by John A. Cook and Robert D. Holmstedt. If you've got questions from this textbook or from any other Hebrew textbook, I'd be happy to tackle them for you or point you in the right direction. I had two years of biblical Hebrew in college and have years of experience reading the Hebrew text, praying in Hebrew, and now I speak Hebrew daily (since I moved to Israel in 2007).

So, it's not an oversight on the part of Textkit, but there are others on these fora who would like to study Hebrew. Perhaps you can gather them and bring them together on the JHR forum for a study. I'd answer questions and help out, but I can't organize the study for you. I'm just too busy for such things right now.

Good luck! -- !בהצלחה

Jason

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

There is not a forum specially for Hebrew, but you may begin a thread to discuss Hebrew in this forum (Open Board) if you wish.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

And, if you've got questions about biblical Hebrew, I'm qualified to answer them and will give you aid as best I can.