Lost

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Lost

Post by quendidil »

Does anyone else here watch Lost?

I thought Richard's pronunciation of Latin in the latest episode was quite good, better than any of the previous attempts at Latin on the show. :P

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Re: Lost

Post by Lucus Eques »

How awesome! I haven't seen it yet, but I'll watch it this weekend on tape I hope.

I'm glad to hear they have more Latin! I thought maybe that was one writer's little idea, that the others had swiftly dropped. It makes sense Richard would be best at it. Yay for Others in Latin!

[cue losting theme]
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

I did not notice the Latin? When did he say it and what did he say?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

When he is asked "What lies at the shadow of the statue?", he replies "Ille qui nos omnes servabit."

He doesn't quite hold the double l as long as I would like it, but his vowels are alright and he clearly pronounces "v" as /w/. :lol:

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Not to start a Lost thread, but that is an interesting quote. I like the show, but if they mess with John Locke, so help me.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

scotticus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotticus »

I watch LOST as well, but couldn't make out the last word in Richard's response (I agree with the "ille qui nos omnes"). Are you sure it's servabit? That would make sense in the sentence, but I didn't get that at all from the pronunciation.

Also, it seems like they dubbed that part a bit. To your first point, perhaps they wanted to make sure he sounded right.

scotticus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotticus »

OK...please disregard my previous post. I found the clip on You Tube and listened to it again. I think "servabit" is correct.