Help with the verb "fio"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Help with the verb "fio"

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Salvete!

Ok, moving along to Wheelock Chapter 36.

I have a pretty good understand in the Jussive Noun Clause.

But I just want to check to see if I understand "fio."

Are these translations correct:

"Something is happening."=Aliquid fit.
"Something happened"=Aliquid factum est.
"She becomes angry."=Ea irata fit.
"I want this to happen."=Volo hoc fieri/volo ut hoc fiat.

Thanks again friends!

Gratias vobis ago, amici et amicae!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with the verb "fio"

Post by thesaurus »

Look good to me. As you're examples illustrate, this verb usally occurs in the 3rd person. I find that "fit" can be fairly idiomatic in some phrases, like "fit fragor" means "there was a thunder-peal."

It can also mean "to become [something]." In Ovid (where the fragor line is from too) you get "fit lupus" to describe how Lycaon suddenly transforms into a wolf. No surprise, you see it a lot in the Metamorphoses
"Ut lenita dea est, vultus capit illa priores
fitque, quod ante fuit: fugiunt e corpore saetae,
cornua decrescunt, fit luminis artior orbis"
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with the verb "fio"

Post by modus.irrealis »

It also functions as the passive of "facio" so it can have a passive sense as well -- not the best example, but there's "ab exploratoribus certior factus est" = "he was informed by the scouts".

Edit: Nevermind. I misread the original post and thought you were asking for all the uses of "fio", which would take a while to list.