Can somebody please help me with this phrase?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ctrlaltdelete200390
Textkit Neophyte

Can somebody please help me with this phrase?

Post by ctrlaltdelete200390 »

Hi. I did learn Latin at school, but have forgotten my vocabularium and stuff and wouldn't be able to deal with the following verb phrase either. Just to say that if you give me a detailed analysis of why you've put which word with with conjugation-case-gender etc, then I will understand it, not that you have to.
Anyway, this is the phrase that has been troubling me: I kinda want to use it for a motto:

"Strength, fellowship and proud to be British"

Now I tried Yahoo Q&A and MSN Q&A with the following unsatisfactory results only, leaving out the even more rubbishy ones:
potanto, fraternito et proudum est britona;
Vires, societas, et decum Britannicus esse habens

Somebody please help me. It would be very kind.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Can somebody please help me with this phrase?

Post by thesaurus »

Is there a reason why your question and one of your proposed answers are completely identical to that of "Quis ut Deus" in this recent thread?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9486
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

ctrlaltdelete200390
Textkit Neophyte

Oooo - I hadn't seen that. No, all that I can think of is that somebody must have seen my question on Yahoo or MSN and then posted it here. It wasn't me, as I've only just joined. Either way, the translations there don't help me an awful lot. The final outcome there is that they put it in a sentence, but I am looking to use the phrase as a motto...
Anyone with any ideas?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

ctrlaltdelete200390 wrote:Oooo - I hadn't seen that. No, all that I can think of is that somebody must have seen my question on Yahoo or MSN and then posted it here. It wasn't me, as I've only just joined. Either way, the translations there don't help me an awful lot. The final outcome there is that they put it in a sentence, but I am looking to use the phrase as a motto...
Anyone with any ideas?
As I wrote in the other thread, I'm not sure that the way that the phrase can be translated into a snappy Latin motto as currently written. My proposal is "Vires, societas, et superbia Britannica," which translates as "Strength, fellowship, and British pride."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

ctrlaltdelete200390
Textkit Neophyte

What if we used something else instead of British. Say, "proud to be Christian". Does that give more possibilities? "superbia Christiani"?

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

ctrlaltdelete200390 wrote:What if we used something else instead of British. Say, "proud to be Christian". Does that give more possibilities? "superbia Christiani"?
No, it would be exactly the same except for that one word. If you want to say "I am proud to be British/Christian" you might go with Glorior me Britannum/Christianum esse (literally "I pride myself that I am British/Christian").

To be honest, "Strength, fellowship and proud to be British" doesn't strike me as a very good motto even in English. It's just sloppy grammar.
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

perhaps "strength, fellowship, and pride in being British" (to repair the grammatical inconsistency)

for the first two I would use "constantia, societas" ... the last is a bit trickier to render and I am short on time right now

something that would fit much more easily into the Latin would be like "we have strength, fellowship, and are proud to be British / and are proud that we are British", but will not make as pithy a motto as you would probably like.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

benissimus wrote:perhaps "strength, fellowship, and pride in being British"

for the first two I would use "constantia, societas" ... the last is a bit trickier to render and I am short on time right now

something that would fit much more easily into the Latin would be like "we have strength, fellowship, and are proud to be British / and are proud that we are British", but will not make as pithy a motto as you would probably like.
Reminds me of that damnable Lee Greenwood jingoism, "Glorior me esse Americanum, ubi quidem scio me liberum esse..."

Benedarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Benedarius »

Imber Ranae wrote:To be honest, "Strength, fellowship and proud to be British" doesn't strike me as a very good motto even in English. It's just sloppy grammar.
I agree. Maybe if you said what you wanted to say in a couple of sentences, we could help you come up with something better in English and Latin?