Latin Phrase Translation Help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
olaf
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Phrase Translation Help

Post by olaf »

Could anyone tell me if this translation is correct?

I've got this sentence: "There is no escape"

My translation is: "Nulla est fuga"

Thank you very much.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin Phrase Translation Help

Post by adrianus »

Looks good to me, olaf. And "nullum est effugium", too.
Bonum id mihi videtur. Etiam "nullum est effugium".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

"Est effugium nullum" would be better.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve Rindu

Better or alternative? You'll always get more than one opinion on this sort of stuff (word order).

Cicero says, in Pro Flacco (28), "nulli erant praedones", which A&G (§314) translate, "there were no pirates". And "nullum mittitur telum", "not a missile was thrown" is in Caesar, Bellum Civile (A&G, §314).
"Est effugium nullum" doesn't necessarily stress the "nullum" despite it being at the sentence end, because the verb is at the start to emphasize it and nullum follows the noun it qualifies as you expect an adjective to do.
Those models of Cicero and Caesar seem very good ones, wouldn't you say.

Meliùs an secús? De taliâ re (ut ordo verborum), est semper plus quàm una sententia.

Ecce: "nulli erant praedones" (apud Ciceronem), quod in sermones anglicos ità vertunt A&G, "there were no pirates". Etiam "nullum mittitur telum" (apud Caesarem),
"not a missile was thrown".
Verùm, "nullum" adjectivum in "est effugium nullum" sententiam terminat, emphasin autem non necessariè habet quòd nomen cui illud adicitur procedit, ut solet, et verbum (emphasin suam habens) incipit.
Nonnè perbonae videntur hae Ciceronis Caesarisque formulae.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Are we talking assignment or tattoo, motto, graffiti tag ? I would drop the est if we are not talking about an assignment. I would suggest you put the tattoo on the sinistra bucula.

On an unrelated note......................Come on newbies. I need 5 more responses to reach 200 posts. Does nobody have a question about third declension i-stem or the relative clause of characteristic?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift