Textkit Logo

You might be studying Greek too much...

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

You might be studying Greek too much...

Postby anglicus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:28 am

...if you're using an English dictionary and you keep expecting to find X between N and O.
anglicus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: You might be studying Greek too much...

Postby spiphany » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:04 pm

LOL. I used to get that problem with Russian. Kept looking for C down by R (or P) instead of at the beginning.
γ trips me up, too.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby thesaurus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Not Greek, but still an embarrassing language blunder...

The other month I was waiting for my appointment at the optometrist, and I was studying Hebrew in the waiting-room. When it came time, I was ushered in to do the test where you cover one eye and read the rows of letters from a distance. It seemed like I was having trouble getting the letters right, so the optometrist kept having me read progressively larger lines. Finally, I was reading the largest letters which you would have to be totally blind not to get right... at that point it was asked whether I was reading the lines right to left instead of left to right? I had been doing it backwards the whole time because my mind was in Hebrew mode while the optometrist feared that I was blind as a bat.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:56 pm

thesaurus wrote:Not Greek, but still an embarrassing language blunder...

The other month I was waiting for my appointment at the optometrist, and I was studying Hebrew in the waiting-room. When it came time, I was ushered in to do the test where you cover one eye and read the rows of letters from a distance. It seemed like I was having trouble getting the letters right, so the optometrist kept having me read progressively larger lines. Finally, I was reading the largest letters which you would have to be totally blind not to get right... at that point it was asked whether I was reading the lines right to left instead of left to right? I had been doing it backwards the whole time because my mind was in Hebrew mode while the optometrist feared that I was blind as a bat.

That is very funny.
I have never had anything as persistent as that happen to me but something similar has happened; I was trying to read an English word I was not familiar with. The word ended in a W but I pronounced the last letter as an Ω. I didn't bother trying to explain why this happened.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby anglicus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Glad to see other people have similar experiences :) Yeah, last night I was trying to look up a word that started with "ex-" and I just stared for a while at the last word that started with "en-" in total confusion. Eventually it dawned on me what I was doing wrong...

Another problem I've had is when I'm trying to write a Greek name or directly borrowed word in English, I have to concentrate really hard to actually use the right alphabet.
anglicus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Nooj » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 am

When I write in English, I write my 'a' and 'e' as cursive alphas and epsilons now. Sort of annoying.
Dolor poetas creat.
Nooj
Textkit Member

Postby benissimus » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 pm

The chemistry that I'm learning uses a lot of mixed Roman and Greek characters. When I write the formulas, for some reason I have a tendency to convert the Greek letters into their Roman equivalents. This can cause a lot of confusion when the Roman equivalents already stand for a completely different thing...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jordan St. Francis » Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 am

I have a tendency now to see an english "v" and "p" as a rho and a nu- especially, for some reason, when reading license plates.
Jordan St. Francis
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek