Latin via Ovid

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
languageleon
Textkit Neophyte

Latin via Ovid

Post by languageleon »

Last edited by languageleon on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Post by Kyneto Valesio »

Hi and welcome

I don't particularly care for latin via ovid although my review based on going through only the first 1/3 or so of the book. It was about at that point in the text that the editors stopped indicated "vowel quantity" in the readings. Oh, they would give you the quantities the first time a word was learned, but after that you are just supposed to know it so even a fast skim through of the book becomes problematic if you are intent on pronouncing well. Well any way, this feature of that book ticked me off and I never finished getting through it.

There are many persons here who will strongly recommend the Lingua Latina, and Roma Eterna by Hans Orberg. I am one of them. I am currently reviewing sections of both books. The Orberg approach uses only latin, symbols and small pictures for the explanations. The two books represent a complete course in latin.

Another series I like is the Oxford Latin Course which presents the basics over the course of three books. What's cool about the Oxford Latin course is that you learn a whole lot about the poet Horace and his friends and the general social situation during the Augustian period. The thing reads almost like a novel. Very entertaining cartoons as well illustrating grammar.

If you are pressed for time, check out the Latinum Podcast. Just google it. Most of your study time will be like when you are going somewhere and you will just be listening to one of the podcast/lesssons. Learn in your car.

Whatever methods you select, latin, unless you are far more brilliant than me, will take a real commitment of time. But if you love it, then it is not a drag but more like an enjoyable hobby. As for methods in general methods, the best me judicante are the living language methods.

The recorded materials that go with the Ovid via Latin course are far too expensive - over $200 so I never bought them. However, if you have the bucks and since you dig mythology, it might be worth a try ; but not without the accompanying audio materials
\

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin via Ovid

Post by adrianus »

Ante scriptum.
These advertisements were deleted by the moderator. Without the brand & links, they aren't objectionable, I suggest. I reproduce them without the links, to make the subsequent posts understandable. Is that OK?
Hae laudationes à moderatore deletae sunt. Sine notâ nexibusque non recusandae sunt, decerto. Sine nexibus eas resemino, ut epistulae sequentes intellegantur. Licetne?
**** cheap handbags
by niggs3721 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:20 pm
**** sell name brand handbags whoelale and retail.
choose your purses and save: Website: ****

a good tip for you
by fghi608 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:55 pm
When you are shopping for your wedding dresses, one of your biggest priorities should be your wedding gowns. In fact, for many of today's brides, the prom dress is the most important element of the big event. All of your friends, family, loved ones and guests should be waiting with baited breath to see how gorgeous you are and what evening gowns you are wearing as you take those first steps down the aisle.
Dear niggs3721, please send me the top 15 from your most expensive handbags range and charge them to Textkit's Latin forum. Christmas is only eight months away, so please hurry, I beg you.
Amabò te, niggs3721 care, quindecim summas è collectione pretiosissimarum perularum mihi mittas et expensum in rationem Textkit latini fori referas. Nunc est solùm nonus mensis ante diem Christi natalem, ideò festines, te imploro.

Salve fghi608
Vital that I should know before buying! Does your wedding clothing match nigg3721's **** handbags?
Ante emendum, magni momenti mihi est ut hoc sciam! Congruitne perulis è **** de niggs3721 tuus vestitus nuptialis?
Last edited by adrianus on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Ah, care Adriane, vin' emere quindecim vestes maritales cum perulis convenientes? Quid tibi in animo est :-)?

Ingrid

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve ingrid70

Ità est, quindecim vestes nuptiales cum perulis eiusdem coloris quem habent vestes.

I plan for fifteen of us to wear those clothes and, in that disguise, go up to fghi608 and niggs3721 with handbags full of stones. Secrecy is important for success, so please say nothing, speak to no one.

Ut quindecim è nobis eas vestes portemus delineo, et, sic personati, ad fghi608 et niggs3721 appropinquemus, perulis lapidum plenis. Ut vincat, consilium secretum esse necesse est, ità taceas, nemini loquaris.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hmm, fortasse nobis opus est altera manu subuculis "Ralph Lauren" vestita?

Ingrid

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Good thinking, ingrid70! It will be the responsibility of everyone to embroider their name on their "Ralph Lauren" shirts as an aid to identification, should the worst happen. The first team, then, might think to wear nice shirts, too. The operational costs could be getting out of hand.

Sententiam perbonam, ingrid70! Nomen suum in subuculis "Ralph Lauren" vi acu pingere ut signum agnitionis sui in pessimam fortunam oportebit omnes utrius manûs sodales. Ità et prima manus subuculam delicatam portare videat. Impensas operationis nimias fieri potest.
Last edited by adrianus on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Post scriptum. I originally thought I could make a joke here (in English) about underpants. I was wrong. Subucula, in addition to meaning a shirt or camisia, as typical today, is more any type of undershirt or vest or smock or nightshirt than a pair of underpants, or curta femoralia (pl), or curta feminalia (pl), or bracae decurtatae, or subligar, or subligacula (pl). However much I strain, subucula isn't subligacula. Please forgive.
Facetia quam priùs feci deliquit. Erravi. Quantumcunque laborem minus nihilo est, subucula enim subligacula non dicere vult. Me excuses.

Ceterum censeo floccinaucinihilipilificationem esse delendam!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

This just goes to prove that humor has no place in the discussion of Latin, which as a serious and dry subject deserves reference only to outer garments in a manner thus befitting of its canonical austerity.

Quae cum ita sint, ludus ipse patet nullâ viâ decere linguam latinam, disciplinam tam severam pulvereamque, quâ solùm vestes exterae (eius gravitati decorae) referendae sunt.
Last edited by thesaurus on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ah! That old parting wish, "May your underwear always be dry but not dusty"!
Io! Istam valedictionem vetam, "Sint semper sicca nunquàm pulverea subligacula tibi"!

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

In that case, we should bash them on the head wearing togas. I haven't seen an advert for togas yet though.

Eo casu togatos pugillari nos decet. Praeconium togarum autem nondum vidi.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

It seems, then, we'll need to mug some ancient romans for their togas. Isn't that always the way,—escalating costs and escalating violence! Afterwards, we'll most likely have to have counselling.

Necesse erit, id mihi videtur, nos romanos antiquos aliquos in viâ adorire ad togas decerpendas. Nonnè sic semper est—et impensae et saevitiae increscunt! Posteà, sinè dubitò, consiliatorem psychologiae petere debebimus.