What about Wheelock's and Moreland?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ranger86
Textkit Neophyte

What about Wheelock's and Moreland?

Post by ranger86 »

I am considering teaching myself Latin in my spare time. I might have half-an-hour to put in every day, with more hours available on weekends. <br /><br />I just read the rant against wheelock, in which the Latin:Intensive Course was given high marks.<br /><br />I do not have time right now to go full steam into Moreland and Fleischer, but would it be a good idea to start working on Wheelock now, and then switch over to Moreland when I have a decent understanding of Latin grammar?<br /><br />Or should I just start off with the more intensive book?

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:What about Wheelock's and Moreland?

Post by mariek »

<br />Hi Ranger86. Welcome to Textkit! I'm happy to hear you've decided to start learning Latin. I recently started learning Latin on my own just a couple months ago. It's really fun and interesting, and I've found that this site has helped motivate me and it has also been a wonderful source for answering all the questions I have.<br /><br />I was going to direct you to the Rant Against Wheelock discussion, but I see you have already perused that thread. :) Its quite a lot of information to digest, isn't it!<br /><br />I think you should go to any major bookstore (Borders, Barnes & Noble) to take a look at both these books before deciding which one speaks to you. Everyone reacts best to different styles, find the book with the format that works for you. Regardless of which book you choose, you will have no problems asking for help on this forum here. We have many people here working through Wheelock, M&F, and D'Ooge. <br /><br />I recently started M&F and find it goes at a good pace for me. Don't be intimidated by the "intensive" it its title. You can still work through it at any pace you like. M&F does tend to introduce several grammar topics/rules at a time in each unit. If you think this is "too much input" to digest all at once, you may prefer Wheelock which presents topics at a slower pace.<br /><br />When you've decided which book you prefer, you may want to order the book through Textkit from their Support Page: http://www.textkit.com/support.php . This will allow you to order Wheelock at a 30% discount! And you'll also help support Textkit (as there is quite a bit of overhead required for running this site). Jeff would be most greatful to you if you do this. ;D<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I agree wholeheartedly with MK. If you do choose Wheelock, just remember to keep a steady course (at least 1 chapter a week) or you will probably lose your momentum.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

First off, welcome to Textkit!<br /><br />Should you choose Wheelocks I'm only on Ch. 5 so you could catch up in no time and then we could answer each other's questions if you like.<br /><br />