Member Names

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Member Names

Post by mariek »

<br />Just curious. How did you choose your Member Name? Some of you have interesting names!<br /><br />Mine is rather boring. Middle name, last initial.<br /><br />

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re:Member Names

Post by Lex »

I originally picked Lex as my name because I thought it meant "reader". A visit to an online Latin-English dictionary informs me that "lector" is the word for "reader", while "lex" means "law". So, my name was due to ignorance on my part. Oops.<br />
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

My name is an erroneous superlative of bonus (good) or bene (well). My friend suggested it when I was making a new screenname for AIM, but I was a beginner and didn't know how wrong it was. I can't very well change it now. At least it's better than my really old one "CaedaboTe".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well...I like bishops pigeons mothers

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I still can't believe French turned "episcopus" into "eveque". I have seen French do some weird stuff to Latin but that is probably the strangest. Oh yeah and I love that llama picture. Go llamas!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've had this nick online for..... 6 years? more than that I think. <br /><br />It came from having a particularly clueless week, which happened to coincide with the week I was getting tired of my old nick. I've kept it ever since, because it fits me. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Eveque what a word. <br /><br />Damn I can type neither the acute on the capital nor the circumflex on the second e. The forum keeps going back.

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

"Gréagach" is the Irish word for what I always wanted to be in my life: "Greek, bright, brave". <br /><br /> To be seen if I can ever deserve that...
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

sweet is that irish?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Mine's easy. I picked my first name, if for no other reason than that it's unusual (I've met Kessa, Kiesa and Keesha, but never another Keesa), it's fun to say, and-I can remember it. :D Supposedly it means "Loved One," I think from some French/Canadian Indian slang word that Mamma picked up somewhere, some time, long ago. I'm not really sure. :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Mine is a bit of shift from what my brother used to call me in a playful manner. My name's Myungsunn(an american listened carefully how my name was pronounced and told me it could be transcribed as mn-young-son) and my brother used to call me mengshey. And I borrowed the chinese pronunciation of myung later. I'd think about adding a bit of greek touch and turn in into 'minxeus([size=18=12]μιγξευς).'

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Mine is the one Ma and Pa gave me 40 years ago and I stuck with it.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Mine's boring too....First, Middle and Last Initials of my name.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Mariek, you disappoint me. I thought it was an interesting E. European version of Maria (Czech or Polish maybe).<br /><br />The French are mere amateurs. The English managed to get from episcopos to bishop.<br /><br />Bingley is from the Jane Austen character of that name. I definitely see myself as the sidekick rather than the romantic lead. ;D

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=749;start=0#7425 date=1064959171]<br />Supposedly it means "Loved One," I think from some French/Canadian Indian slang word that Mamma picked up somewhere, some time, long ago. I'm not really sure. :) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Do you mean Metis?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Pish-posh Bingley! Episcopus was "Ebiscopus" in Vulgar Latin. Drop the ending and (for some reason) the initial E and you have "biscop", but as you probably know, older forms of English pronounced "sc" as "sh". It is still pretty grim but at least it was LOGICAL (cough cough French... cough cough).

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

'Raya' is the diminutive of Rayissa, which is my Russian name. Raya is somewhat close to my *official* name (i.e. the one given to me by my parents), which is Arabic and [1] really cannot be rendered in this alphabet [2] for the most part can't be pronounced by anyone who hasn't at least studied Arabic!<br /><br />Call me weird for having many names - some of you noted 'Mao Siao Yue' in my old signature (thanks, mariek, for clarifying exactly how that translates) - but I guess that's me. People collect all kinds of things in their travels - I collect names... ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

How does it translate? <br /><br />To Klewlis: <br /><br />I am not sure if metis is the right word or not...it very well could be, since I don't know, but I'm not sure how she got from there to here. :) Still...she is part French...maybe that explains it. ;)

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

I thought it was not necessary to search for another name for a Forum dedicated to ancient languages since mine is already a Latin word...boring, I know... ;D

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=749;start=0#7401 date=1064941284]<br />I still can't believe French turned "episcopus" into "eveque". I have seen French do some weird stuff to Latin but that is probably the strangest.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />French turned also OFFICINAM into "usine" (plant, factory). But some Italians turned EPIPHANIAM into "Beffana".<br /><br />Episcopu(m) > Episc (the syllabes after the accent fade away)<br /><br />Episc > Evisc (relaxed pronunciation, you don't close your mouth so p > F, and > V due probably to the presence of the surrounding vowels, you don't stop the vibration of your vocal cords);<br /><br />evisc > evesc (also relaxed : you don't reunite your lips tightly enough to say "i", so it becomes "e")<br /><br />evesc > eve:c (the S fades away but the E is lengthened in compensation)<br /><br />Now you write it in the French manner : "évêque" (and you shorten the ê but it remains an open vowel).

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=749;start=15#7481 date=1065011605]<br /><br />To Klewlis: <br /><br />I am not sure if metis is the right word or not...it very well could be, since I don't know, but I'm not sure how she got from there to here. :) Still...she is part French...maybe that explains it. ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The Metis are a specific group of Canadians who are half native and half french... it goes way back to settlement days. So when I hear you say native/french/canadian the automatic thought is that you mean Metis ;) Ask your mom... she might know.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Clemens link=board=6;threadid=749;start=15#7486 date=1065013801]<br />I thought it was not necessary to search for another name for a Forum dedicated to ancient languages since mine is already a Latin word...boring, I know... ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I had to look that up. Cool!<br /><br />So does this mean you never get angry? ;D<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I have a couple of books on French etymology. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find them? They're sitting out anywhere visible, so I can only assume I have them in a box somewhere. :(<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[size=150]βαρβαρος

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

My name's really boring: Emma and then my birth year. Normally I'm known as Emma LB on the Internet. Don’t know why I'm 85 here, maybe Emma LB was already taken? ???<br /><br />Anyway, seems I'm the only one named by their parents after some country singer (Emmy Lou Harris). My dad just had no imagination ;). At least I'll never have any problems finding mugs with my name on (except in Germany, where it's a really, really rare name).<br /><br />I was going to ask you about your name, Kessa, as it is quite unusual.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

J'aurais dú savoir quec'était skylax qui a dit d'oú vient eveque! <br /><br />te saluto!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=749;start=15#7503 date=1065027395]<br />Anyway, seems I'm the only one named by their parents after some country singer (Emmy Lou Harris). My dad just had no imagination ;). At least I'll never have any problems finding mugs with my name on (except in Germany, where it's a really, really rare name).<br /><br />Emmy Lou Harris is one of my mother's favorite country singers! I don't care for country music, but she's very good. <br /><br />I was going to ask you about your name, Kessa, as it is quite unusual.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thank you! I like it. Who knows? Perhaps someday I'll make it famous, and lots of little girls will be named after me. :D It's not very likely, though, unfortunately. Somehow I can't see myself famous. :-\

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=749;start=15#7494 date=1065023844]<br /><br />I had to look that up. Cool!<br /><br />So does this mean you never get angry? ;D<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br />Maybe my mother hoped that, when she decided to choose this name... ;D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Skylax, interesting explanation. Just because you can explain how the French language works doesn't justify it though! :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Skylax is suped to the max. Who is it? Professor? ;)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=749;start=15#7454 date=1064980931]<br />Pish-posh Bingley! Episcopus was "Ebiscopus" in Vulgar Latin. Drop the ending and (for some reason) the initial E and you have "biscop", but as you probably know, older forms of English pronounced "sc" as "sh". It is still pretty grim but at least it was LOGICAL (cough cough French... cough cough).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />About sc > sh : I believe that at first a little "y" came after the sc (thus first sc > scy and scy > ssh > sh). It happens when you say the "c" with the tonge a little too near to the teeth.<br /><br />Dropping the initial is common practice but curiously NOT in the initial evolution that led from Latin to French : in Gaul, they saved the first syllabe of the words and mainly the stressed one too.