Please Help with translation.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
pythagoras.lym
Textkit Neophyte

Please Help with translation.

Post by pythagoras.lym »

I've found Georgius Trebizuntius' LATIN translation of his preface to his translation of the Parmenides for Cusa. It's for research that I'm doing regarding the Humanist Renaissance in the 15th Century. But I don't have time to translate it to read it! Can somebody help please? Is there an english translation anywhere that I don't know about? I'm going to try to include it in this post. It's on Page 11. Thanks a lot It's located here... http://www.archive.org/details/platospa ... 00klibuoft

Maybe someone can do a quick translation? I'd really appreciate it

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: Please Help with translation.

Post by Kasper »

Hi pythagoras,

i think there is some concern that this may amount to us doing your homework for you. Certainly if you do have the capacity to translate it, why shouldn't you do it yourself? Time pressure is part of the university learning experience, no?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

pythagoras.lym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by pythagoras.lym »

I am not doing this for a University, but for personal research...I wouldn't TAKE money for their indoctrination. Thanks anyway though. I guess I'll just translate it myself...it'll take longer this way though...

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

pythagoras.lym wrote:I am not doing this for a University, but for personal research...I wouldn't TAKE money for their indoctrination. Thanks anyway though. I guess I'll just translate it myself...it'll take longer this way though...
I wouldn't mind translating it, but it would help if you could exerpt the Latin text in question, as I'm not exactly sure where the part is you're talking about.

Edit: I found the preface, so let me know if you still need it. Kasper is right to point out that this is a big favor, but since I'm interested in the material anyways I don't see any harm in it. I would only ask that any such translations be free to the public/acknowledged.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

pythagoras.lym wrote:I am not doing this for a University, but for personal research...I wouldn't TAKE money for their indoctrination. Thanks anyway though. I guess I'll just translate it myself...it'll take longer this way though...
I intended no offence to you P, apologies if i did offend you with my comment.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

pythagoras.lym
Textkit Neophyte

Post by pythagoras.lym »

No hard feelings,

πᾶν ἀγαθός εστι.

EDIT:Yeah, thesaurus, could you do it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks