Inserting macrons into text

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Inserting macrons into text

Post by jamesbath »

I'd like to hear a variety of ways people insert macrons into their Latin writing. The best I can do so far is to copy a macronized (if that is a word) letter from another place and paste it into my text. Anybody know an easier way, more efficient way?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: Inserting macrons into text

Post by jaihare »

See what you think of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Macrons

I am using it now, and it works. āēīōū :)

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Thank you for that tip. It looks promising. I will download it tomorrow. Do you know if there are any issues in using it with Vista?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I wouldn't expect any problems, since it's created for Windows all platforms. You could also just use the Alt key with the number sequences, if you don't want to install any software.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Whāt dō yōū thīnk? Cān yōū ādd mācrōns? :)

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Jason,

I kept getting an "Incomplete" install after I downloaded the program and tried, several times, to install it. I think my internet firewall bombed it out, even though I kept telling it to let the program through. I'll try it again later when I have more time.

In the meanwhile, someone pointed me to the following url which showed a good, if a bit cumbersome, way to get macrons as well as many, many other accent symbols over the letters of the alphabet:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/e/j/e ... acron.html

Thanks,
James

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

The ALT codes don't work for me -- all the normal ones do, 0255 and smaller, so I can get acute accent and umlauts and things, but the macrons don't work. Does anyone have an idea why this isn't working for me? I've searched online and found nothing, except that, seeing as I have Vista, it should work.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

modus.irrealis wrote:The ALT codes don't work for me -- all the normal ones do, 0255 and smaller, so I can get acute accent and umlauts and things, but the macrons don't work. Does anyone have an idea why this isn't working for me? I've searched online and found nothing, except that, seeing as I have Vista, it should work.
>255 codes don't work for me either (using Windows Vista Home Premium) when I try them with Notepad or IE/Textkit, but they do work with Wordpad.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Yeah, I tried it now and also works for me with Wordpad, but not with anything else. Oh well, I don't use macrons all that often, so copying and pasting from Character Map isn't really a hassle.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

I keep a text file in my Greek folder that contains a key for the Greek polytonic keyboard keystrokes, some of which are so arcane I never seem to remember them. I also have characters in there that have no Greek polytonic keyboard equivalent, such as alpha+acute+macron for Homeric plural genitive case (only works with the New Athena Unicode font). I cut/pasted them from Character Map to the file. Then I cut/paste them from that file to my Pharr exercise files. It makes things a little easier.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jamesbath wrote:Jason,

I kept getting an "Incomplete" install after I downloaded the program and tried, several times, to install it. I think my internet firewall bombed it out, even though I kept telling it to let the program through. I'll try it again later when I have more time.

In the meanwhile, someone pointed me to the following url which showed a good, if a bit cumbersome, way to get macrons as well as many, many other accent symbols over the letters of the alphabet:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/e/j/e ... acron.html

Thanks,
James
Good luck with getting it set up. It is nice to have it active, since it's really easy to do all of the diacriticals. āéîòü

Hope it works for you soon. Using character map isn't so hot.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Thanks. I'll keep plugging at it, because it does sound like a very helpful utility. I'll let you know when I solve my problem with the install.

James