Textkit Logo

Sidgewick's Greek Prose Composition Passage

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.

Moderator: annis

Sidgewick's Greek Prose Composition Passage

Postby Q.E.D » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:09 pm

I am a first year Classics undergraduate, and am struggling with prose composition. I would really value some feedback on my practice as I have no idea of knowing just how appalling it is and I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong. Really sorry to post such basic stuff, but any guidance would really be valued. I've started with passage II from Sidgewick's Greek Prose Composition.

Titus
"ὀ Τιτυσ εὔδοξοσ θηρεύτησ οἰκομένοσ ἔν τῃ τῶν ὕλων μέσῃ γηράσκων και σκοπων ὅπωσ θαυμαζία τα ἐργὰ τὰ πεπραγμένα ἑαυτου ἠσαν, ἐνομίσεν δεινὸν εἴναι εἴ οἳ ἀνθρωποι τοὺ ὀνομάτοσ λανθάνοιντο. τὴν οὖν βιβλὸν ἐποιεῖτο ἔν ᾕ πολλὰ τὰ θαυμαζία πραγμὰ ἠν. οἵ δ' ἄλλοι θηρεύτησ ἀκουντεσ τόν μεν Τιτυν βιβλὸν γεγραφότα, εἰδότεσ δ' ἐκεινὸν ἀλάζονα εἴναι, τινα πρὸϝ τὴν πολὶν ἔπεμψαν τὸ ἀντίγραφον ὠνῆσοντα ὥσ τῂ ἀνάγνωσει χαιρῶσιν. ὀ δ' ἀγγέλοσ μορωτατοσ ὥν ὕπο τοὺ βιβλιοπώλουσ οὔτωσ ἔξηπετησεν ὥστε προ τοῖσ χρημάτοισ κτησάσθαι οὐ μεν τὴν τοὺ Τιτουσ βιβλὸν τὴν δε τοὺ Ὁμερου, οὐκ ἀξίαν ἕνοσ τὴσ δραχμὴσ. ἐπαρχομένοσ, τῶν φιλῶν συνκαλλουμένων, ἐτύχε ἀνοιγνῶσ τὴν βιβλὸν τῂ θέσει ᾕ ὀ ποιητήσ ᾐδῆσε ὅτι τὸν μεν Ὀδυσσέα μόνον τὸ τοξὸν τεινειν, οὐ δ' ἄλλουσ. τοῦτου ἀκουμένου οἵ θηρεύτεσ εὔθυσ ἀνεπεδῆσαν βοῆσαντεσ ὅτι τουτὸ σαφῶσ γραφέται ὕπο τοὺ Τιτουσ. οὔδενα γαρ τοσουτῶσ ψεύσαι τολμᾶν."

Many thanks for your time.
No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself.
J.R.R.Tolkien
Q.E.D
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Sidgewick's Greek Prose Composition Passage

Postby modus.irrealis » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 am

Hi. In case you didn't know, the key is available here at textkit (at http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/161/author_id/66/) and it might be helpful to compare.

But here are some changes/comments about your first few sentences but double check anything I say:
Tίτος εὔδοξοσ θηρευτής οἰκῶν ἔν μέσαις ταῖς ὕλαις

You'd probably want to change Titus to Τίτος and then inflect like a normal -ος noun. The "in the middle of" construction is a little strange in Greek -- you can use the neuter noun μέσον, but the more common thing is to use the adjective μέσος, which remains outside the article + noun group, like in my change.

γηράσκων καὶ σκοπῶν ὅτι θαυμάσια τὰ ἔργα τὰ πεπραγμένα αὐτῷ ἐστιν, ἐνόμισεν δεινὸν ἔσεσθαι εἰ οἱ ἄνθρωποι τοὺ ὀνομάτοσ ἐπιλάθοιντο.

It's an English thing that you have "he thinks his exploits are great" --> "he thought his exploits were great". In Greek you keep the present or you can also change it to an optative, so εἶεν is also possible, and perhaps more likely in this case -- I'm not sure.

βιβλίον οὖν ἐποιήσατο ἐν ᾧ παντοῖα θαύματα ἐξηγεῖτο.

You want to use the aorist for "composed" -- and I just changed the end to be more literal.

οἱ δ' ἄλλοι θηρευταὶ ἀκούσαντες τὸν μὲν Τίτον βιβλίον γεγραφότα, εἰδότεσ δ' ἐκεινὸν ἀλαζόνα ὄντα, ἄνδρα τινὰ πρὸϝ τὴν πολὶν ἔπεμψαν ἀντίγραφον ὠνησόμενον ὥσ τῇ ἀναγνώσει χαιρήσοντες.

You have to be careful with participles, because English will sometimes use the present participle to refer to events that happened before the main verb (like "hearing" here) and in Greek you have to use the aorist participle. Also, when τις means "a, some", it can't come first in its clause.

And you didn't use the ς form of sigma at the end of words :D.

Hope that helps.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Composition Board