Question on Relation of Three words in Lexicon

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
birdman717
Textkit Neophyte

Question on Relation of Three words in Lexicon

Post by birdman717 »

A friend of mine and I have been looking into a few things and are a bit lost and need some help. The information we have is from a Bauer-Danker Lexicon, that I have attached a scanned page of which has the items we are wondering about. We want to understand the relationship between 3 words...

Ok, the question: Notice on the scanned page the highlighted areas. The Yellow highlighted area is where we were, but then we noticed that the word before it and after it (in blue highlighter) are similar: "dust" and "earthy". But smack dab in-between these words are the Greek words for six hundred and sixty six. The question is, how are these words all related with each other? I mean, why would a number be in there with words that mean, well... dirt basically? More specifically, how is the word for 666 similar to that of either dust or chaff (In Koine Greek of course)? If anyone here could give me an answer or some direction to find an answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,

Take Care,

Chris

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: Question on Relation of Three words in Lexicon

Post by IreneY »

Hi there! It's just a matter of alphabetical order really. The second letter of χνους comesjust before the second letter of χξζ (the greek numerals for 666) and the second letter for χοϊκός comes right after ksi (ξ). You can check the greek alphabet in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet (or any other site you may want) :)

birdman717
Textkit Neophyte

Post by birdman717 »

IreneY, thanks!

I kinda thought that may be the case, but truly am clueless when it comes to Greek

It just seems a Major coincidence (or not!) that in a highly respected Lexicon that we find on either side of the infamous "666", basically, the element that the Material universe consists of: DUST. And... I was hoping there may be a deeper explanation to this, other than alphabetical ordering. I suppose, to try to take this further; do you know of any other Lexicons that may be more exhaustive than this one?

Furthermore... anybody: is there possibly any parallels between "chi xi stigma" (χξϚ) and "choikos" (χοϊκοί χοϊκός χοϊκοῦ)? Or is there any meanings to the individual words here? "χ" or "ξ" or "Ϛ" "chi" or "xi" or "stigma" --- ἑξακόσιοι ἑξήκοντα ἕξ, hexakósioi hexēkonta héx.

Unlike many others, we are trying to see if there is any significance in this section of ancient Greek text which correlates with the material universe, specifically "dust", which the Bible says humans are made up of. Any help or direction of any type would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Digging for meaning that isn't there, I'm afraid.

birdman717
Textkit Neophyte

Post by birdman717 »

jaihare wrote:Digging for meaning that isn't there, I'm afraid.
Most likely, but it's worth a shot... Thanks for your help.

joja
Textkit Neophyte

Post by joja »

Hello,
Re: Does the number six have any ties to the word "dust?'
I believe it does. The number six according to
the following Scripture says:

REV. 13:18
'Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding
count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man;
and his number [is] Six hundred threescore [and] six."

Why does 666 refer to a man or a man's number or both?
I read somewhere that it was the total sum of the Latin
numerals that is on a certain papal crown...

And man is dust to begin with.