Latin immersion program? Anyone heard of this one?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ArthurusNoviEboraci
Textkit Neophyte

Latin immersion program? Anyone heard of this one?

Post by ArthurusNoviEboraci »

Summer Immersion Program handled by the City University of New York...

http://web.gc.cuny.edu/lginst/

I currently have a career in the financial field at a Wall Street firm and due to recent market developments, I have begun to ponder whether I should devote myself to doing what I have always loved and been good at: LANGUAGES... (I am still employed, thank God... but alas... the enthusiasm in saying that, as all of you newspaper-reading people may understand, is quite low)... I am 27 so thinking of career changes wouldn't be so drastic... Especially when one is so not-enamored with what one does...

Latin has really captured my mind in the past few months I've been doing it... In all that I have self-taught myself, I feel I am very apt, making little mistakes and breezing through half of Wheelock in a very short time...

I am weighing the prospect of the above-mentioned program... Do ANY of you have references of this program? I imagine the Classics world is not enormous, so I guess someone here or there must have an inkling as to whether this is good or not...

Ultimately, would these 16 university credits in Latin allow me access to a Certificate/Diploma Program which in turn would then allow me into a grad program?... Perhaps even WITHOUT the intermediary step?

I will need to fill in the gaps now, since my University degree is in Economics... That is why I am asking for your opinion as to what you think best to fill those gaps, and whether this program sounds like a choice...

I have a natural aptitude with languages, English being my second language, Spanish my first and French my third... I am convinced I would do well...

I await your expert advise...

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin immersion program? Anyone heard of this one?

Post by adrianus »

I think of these words
Henry Beard, ([i]Latin for All Occasions[/i]), wrote:If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced high-paying world of Latin
Groucho Marx wrote:I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member
Your notion is romantic, and you are asking the advice of romantic crazies. Go for it! On the other hand, beware, or at least proceed cautiously for the pleasure of it! [Disclaimer: not expert advice!]

Ad memoriam venunt verba Henrici Barbati (ê libro Lingua Latina Occasionibus Omnibus nomine)
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes
et haec Groucho Marx comoedi
me conscribi in quodque sodalicium quod me accipiat abnuo
Quod proponis romanticum est, et rabiosorum consilium romanticorum quaeris. Perge! Aliter, cave, vel cautè saltem progredere deliciarum causâ! [Apologia: hoc peritum consilium non est!]
Last edited by adrianus on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

A romantic crazy writes: nor should you assume that everyone in the academic world is nobly motivated by the love of knowledge for its own sake. The politics of knowledge are not always squeaky clean. You have ignorance, self-delusion, theft, fraud, bullying, and all types of corruption there, too. People are nowhere perfect. But surely there are at least ten good people on Wall Street, for the sake of whom it may be spared.

Romanticus rabiosus ità scribit: quod scientiae amor in et pro ipsâ omnes in academiâ splendidè movet ne assumas. Res scientiae politicae semper integerrimae non sunt. Ibi etiam ignorantiam, sui defraudationem, furtum, fraudem, Thrasones, omnia genera corruptionis invenies. Nullo in loco perfectionem reperies. Nonnè autem sunt decem quidem justi in viâ Muri propter quos eam viam conserves?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ArthurusNoviEboraci
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ArthurusNoviEboraci »

Recte parlavisti, mi amice Adriane, et omnia quae dixisti mihi iucunda sunt. Ipse credo me romanticum esse, et bonos oculos atque acrem mentem habes... At dubitatio mea, de hominibus iustis aut iniustis non parlabat... Credo eandem dubitationem non videre... Parlabam de ludo illo... Estne ille bonus? Suntne professores illius docti vel clari? Sapientia - quam maxime desidero et quae in illo recipi potest - magna aut parva est? Propter istam dubitationem, dixeram "credo mundum classicum parvum esse, et volo cognoscere omnia quae de ludo illo audivistis"...

Parlabam autem de negotio argentario meo in via Muri (vel Parietis?), non propter iustitiam aut iniustitiam eius. Scio omne officium habere homines malos, et malos enim inter grammaticos ipsos. Haec ratio tamen non me prohibet hanc linguam amare...

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

ArthurusNoviEboraci wrote:Haec ratio tamen non me prohibet hanc linguam amare...
And who would not grab love, who was lucky enough to find it? And other people do seem able to come up with the responsibility and commitment that are required to make beautiful things, otherwise there wouldn't be such a lot of good things everywhere. Sorry to have distracted from your question about that course. Glad you've got a sense of humour, ArthurusNoviEboraci friend. I hope someone else knows about it.

Quis enim, tam fortunatus eam inveniens, amorem non carpet? Non pauci quidem illi pietate atque patientiâ praediti,—talibus ingeniis ad res pulchras faciendas necessariis,—quod numerus illarum rerum magnus ubiquè demonstrat. Responsa ad tuam quaestionem de cursu illo deflexi,—abs te peto ut hoc remittas. Felix quod suavissimis moribus praeditus es. Hâc de re, ArthureNoviEboraci amice, spero fore ut alius tibi respondet.