My study journal

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

My study journal

Post by Banana tree »

Hey.

So I want to pick up Latin again. I studied it in my spare time before, for about a year ago when I didn't have so much in school and I basically had a lot of time to kill. I worked pretty hard for a couple of weeks and finished one chapter a day in Lingua Latina. And after the summer spring, school started again and with my new huge interest in chess it wasn't much time left for Latin. But recently I felt a need to pick it up again. And I have started all over in LL and this time I'm going to work at a slower pace, partly because I don't have time to work so fast as I did before and partly because I'll probably lose interest quite fast again. I'm going to try to stick to one chapter a week, including the pensa and the exercitia to that chapter and also some grammar drills if I feel it's necessary.

So I thought I'll just going to drop a line here at the end of every week and tell how things is going. Mostly to keep track of myself but it'll maybe be interesting for other Latin students using LL or thinking about using it.

The last week I went through the first six chapters, they wasn't so hard for me even though it was about a year ago since last time I looked at a Latin sentence. But starting from chapter seven I'm going to complete one chapter a day.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: My study journal

Post by thesaurus »

I'm happy to hear that you're getting back into Latin. I would be very happy to read weekly updates on your learning, even if you're just posting a progress report. Having some interaction while your learning is a great way to keep up the studies. One lesson a week sounds like a good pace. If you have enough time you could read through the chapter slowly, do the exercises, and then reread the chapter at a more regular pace and preferably out-loud. If you're really ambitious you could record yourself doing the reading and then listen and see how much you understand. Either way, reading aloud and repetitions will be in your favor.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

ArthurusNoviEboraci
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ArthurusNoviEboraci »

I am studying Wheelock for the first time, all alone, and it feels great to know there's someone to turn to for questions... When I was 15 and I first thought about learning Latin (without having it offered at my school), the internet was in its infancy and I would have never imagined something like this forum would ever come to exist...

Best of luck w/ LL, Banana Tree... Wish me some with Wheelock.

Pros
Textkit Member

Post by Pros »

Hi Banana tree,

I am in Chapter 4 of LL and do the pensa and read each chapter at least 4 times. I have the CD for the LL book too which allows me to check my answers and at least hear the words spoken correctly. So far I love it. I will be reading your journal.

Pros

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

Week #1

So one week has passed. I have been reading chapter eight a little bit then and then, maybe in general two times a day. But during the weekend I had a chess tournament and I just didn't have time to do any Latin. Normally I do must of my studying in the weekends. So I don't really feel I'm finished with chapter eight yet. I'll devote Tuesday to it also but I'll think I'll be able to catch up with my plan of one chapter per week nevertheless. I also need to drill the interrogative and relative pronouns this week since I don't seem to get them automatically. Besides that, I don't have any big problems with any grammar so far and I don't have any problems with the words either, I use Mnemosyne for memorizing words and it work very well for me. In case you haven't heard of it, here's a link: http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your studies too.