Voluptas effluit mea!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Voluptas effluit mea!

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=30#7036 date=1064628758]<br />O di immortales! It has arrived and it only took 4 days!!!!! Sorry guys, I'm going into scholarly seclusion for an indefinite period of time :P <br />[/quote]<br /><br /> ??? What does this mean?<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

You may remember that when this thread started he had a certain book on order....

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

You're not going to just read the dictionary are you? <br /><br />How entertaining or beneficial can it be unless you be to remember each word that you encounter?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=30#7059 date=1064659077]<br />You're not going to just read the dictionary are you? <br /><br />How entertaining or beneficial can it be unless you be to remember each word that you encounter?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />VERY!!! As my sister will tell you, I often read the dictionary through just as you would any other book. You find some of the strangest things in there...and more words are bound to stick in your head than if you had never read it at all! <br /><br />Besides, if he reads it through not once, but twice, instead of doubling the number of words he learns, it may well triple it. And if he reads it through three times (reading back over his favorite parts, of course! ;D) well, you can imagine. <br /><br />However, I don't know that he will necessarily read it all the way through. From what I've heard of it, it makes for some heavy reading, and even scanning through it could take him some time.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ah... yes... sounds like a great read... a dictionary... even better than reading the telephone book... ::)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Well, I thought it was kind of funny that it came with a bookmark...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=690;start=30#7072 date=1064672810]<br />Ah... yes... sounds like a great read... a dictionary... even better than reading the telephone book... ::)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Umm...hehe. Actually, I read those, too. Oh, not cover to cover, of course. But sometimes when writing, I need to find just the perfect last name...they're ideal for that. :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=690;start=30#7051 date=1064650141]<br />You may remember that when this thread started he had a certain book on order....<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ah... I hadn't put two and two together. I still have it in my mind that the book arrives in two weeks. I think that's what he mentioned earlier, or maybe I had imagined it. I don't remember. Old age, you know...<br /><br />I wish my Amazon purchases arrived so quickly. I never have such luck...<br /><br />]

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=30#7059 date=1064659077]<br />You're not going to just read the dictionary are you? [/quote]<br /><br />That's not totally unheard of. I've browsed through dictionaries myself. It's quite fun to browse and discover new words. It's great when you look up one word which leads you to looking up many others afterwards. <br /><br />Maybe I'm just strange. I sometimes browse through maps just because.<br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well maps are alright! I love maps :)<br />Nothing better than looking at maps for ages, especially old ones.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=690;start=45#7087 date=1064683678]<br />Well, I thought it was kind of funny that it came with a bookmark...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Really? I've never seen a dictionary with a bookmark. Did it also come with a magnifying glass? <br /><br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

None of my dictionary have bookmarks either, but quite a few of the library one have. It seems that only expensive ones come with that little piece of ribbon attached.<br />Although, my homework book has one... :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I can definitely understand why a dictionary would have a bookmark. I can't count the number of times I've had to save a place in my dictionary while I look for another word; usually my finger slips and I lose my place and have to find it all over again.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />That's what those Post-It flags are for. I've found them very helpful for keeping track of pages, and they don't slip like my fingers do.<br /><br />

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

They are also cheaper and easier to replace than fingers too....I would think having the OLD close on ones fingers would be an exercise in pain tolerance! Not that I'm advising you to try it benissimus! :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Now I haven't actually seen an OLD, but if it's anything like the NSOED, I'll bet the pages are really thin so you'd probably wouldn't want to use Post-It notes for fear of tearing or otherwise damaging the pages.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I imagine if I was using a dictionary as large as you say the OLD is, I would switch over to using any of the two dozen bookmarks I have lying around (provided I could find them-booksmarks for me are easy come, easy go), rather than my fingers. Other than the slipping, I don't mind using them for my regular-sized dictionary, but...ouch. I imagine that thing would pinch.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It has a clear, plastic cover by the way, so I will not have to strip it. And while it has yet to pinch me, I have almost dropped it a few times and am terrified that my cat will pee on it (yet I refuse to hoist it up to a shelf where it would be safe).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Pray tell us where this great tome lives in your humble abode. Does it lie supine on your desk? Or spread open to the page you last looked at?<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It simply lies on my futon in my room, which is situated to the right of my desk, where I stare at it for hours on end, contemplating the wealth of knowledge therein and the beautiful simplicity of its cover. I would be admiring it right now if not for homework (darn textkit keeps distracting me!).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Ah... it's too bad you don't read like Data(*). Just don't slobber over the book while you sleep! :P <br /><br />Homework? Textkit counts as "research", right? ;) I sometimes think Textkit is a distraction from my studies. The more time I spend here, the less I spend working through the exercises in my Latin book. The internet is an evil device...<br /><br />(*) A reference to the Star Trek Next Generation character, in case you didn't know.<br /><br />