minus vel aequale + casus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

minus vel aequale + casus

Post by adrianus »

"The mathematical symbol ≤ means that what is to the left is less than, or equal to, what is to the right" = "Signum ≤ mathematicum praecedens minus vel aequale sequenti esse significat"

so, id est, "minus vel aequale alicui"
Does just the rule governing what's nearer to the word sequenti apply here,—so that I should write the dative with aequalis and not ablative with minus. I know the ablative of sequens is sequenti, too, but I'm just wondering about the principle. And there's no need for quam with minus here, is there (for instances when the two cases are not spelled the same)?

Aptane solùm hîc est regula proximitatis, quae, nisi fallor, dicit dativum "sequens" verbi casum cum "aequalis" adverbio potius quàm ablativum cum "aequalis" adjectivo scribendum esse,—et sinè "quam" verbo cum "minus" quià inutile? Orthographiam alterutrius casuum illorum cum "sequens" dictione eandem esse scio, nihilominùs autem quaestionem penso?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Re: minus vel aequale + casus

Post by Swth\r »

I think you can say it both ways and be it correct. You could also say "...vel minus sequenti vel equale ei", or "...vel equale sequenti vel minus eo". Instead of ablative of comparison you can also use "quam+same case with the first thing being compared". So you could say either "praecedens minus quam sequens esse/est " or "praecedens minus sequenti est/esse". "Quam ..." is used obligatorily if a non declinated word is needed to be used in comparison (e.g. a temporal or local adverb).
Dives qui sapiens est...

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: minus vel aequale + casus

Post by adrianus »

Salve, Swth\r.
I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but I have read enough since (on the complements of prepositions at http://cybergreek.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ ... .0:6:3.lss inter alia) to be persuaded that "minus vel aequale alicui" shouldn't be said and it should be "minus aliquo vel aequale ei".
Quod quaesebam non adeò inveni, sed sat modò legi (de complementis praepositionum) ut quod suprà scripsi falsum esse nunc credam. Scribendum est ità, "minus aliquo vel aequale ei", non "minus vel aequale alicui"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.