Latin Translation - Oh I need HELP!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Paul John
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Translation - Oh I need HELP!

Post by Paul John »

Hello Everyone:

I need to create a motto in proper Latin and need help with the proper grammar.

The motto is: See past the stars

I have: Animadverto preteritus astrum

I am not a student of latin please don't laught if I am way off.. :wink:

Any help is greatly appreciated..thank you!

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin Translation - Oh I need HELP!

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Well, you could try a Buzz Lightyearesque version. 'ad astra et ultra!'

But 'specta astra et ultra' should work. 'animadverto' is more 'to notice' than 'to look'.

Any other ideas?
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salvete Paule Johannes et ptolemyauletes

You might think about this, too. Nolite aspernari etiam hoc: "Supra stellas videre"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Paul John
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Paul John »

Thank you for your help!

Would 'Visum astra et ultra' work?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Paul John wrote:Would 'Visum astra et ultra' work?
No, sorry. Minimè, maestè.
"astra et ulteriora visa" = "the stars and things beyond seen"
Well, perhaps as a supine you mean it, then why not, 'though personally I don't like it. It just doesn't sound smooth to me,—and motion is implied.
Cur non, autem, fortassè, si supinum vis dicere, sed ego id non amo. Non leviter sonat, ut opinor,—et motus denotatur.
"[Eo] astra et ultra visum" = " in order to see the stars and beyond"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Paul John
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Paul John »

Once again thank you for your help - I didn't even think that motion would be implied in the usage :? .

I think I am going to stick with 'specta astra et ultra' it does have a smooth flow.

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

What adrianus meant was that if you used the supine 'visum', this would imply motion, as such supines are usually used with a verb of motion. e.g. 'I came to see the stars.' :)
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.