Help with short sentence.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
petespits
Textkit Neophyte

Help with short sentence.

Post by petespits »

quoniam superati estis, hostes, et a meis militibus capti, Romam mittemini. pauci autem vestrum in servitutem ducentur.

What I have so far.

Since you have been conquered, enemy,________________ , you are being sent to Rome. However, few are being led into slavery with you.

petespits
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help with short sentence.

Post by petespits »

nevermind. I figured it out. I was reading it wrong.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve petespits/petrusspuit

pauci vestrum = a few of your ones [id est, your men]
ducentur = they will be led —it's future tense/futuri temporis est
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I forgot mittemini! Hoc oblitus sum

Note, it's second person plural future passive indicative.
Nota, secundae personae pluralis numeri futuri temporis passivae vocis indicativi modi est.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

petespits wrote:quoniam superati estis, hostes, et a meis militibus capti, Romam mittemini. pauci autem vestrum in servitutem ducentur.
In case that you still need help...

Since you have been defeated, oh enemies, and captured by my soldiers, you will be sent to Rome. However, a few among you will be led into slavery.
Dives qui sapiens est...