Si alius...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
galen697
Textkit Neophyte

Si alius...

Post by galen697 »

Something I've been wondering about lately when composing is this.

If Si aliquis is properly written as "si quis" (and the same is true for aliquid), what happens when writing "si alius"? Is that governed by the same rules regarding si, nisi, ni and ne?

Titus_Larcius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Si alius...

Post by Titus_Larcius »

no.

Remember that the 'ali-' in 'aliquis' is, in fact, an elided form of 'alius'.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve galen697 atque tite_larci
Which of the two, "si quis" or "si aliquis", to write depends on the context. Ainsworth says "si aliquis" is more emphatic. Isn't "si alius" perfectly fine, and unproblematic? What's the alternative? I would say, "Unless another wants that bun, I'll have it."
Utrum amborum, "si quis" an "si aliquis", rectè scribatur ex contextu pendet. Constructionem "si aliquis" plus emphasin quàm "si quis" habere dicit Ainsworth (§310). Nonné "si alius" constructio perbona est, et indubia? Dicam "Nisi alius illud cuppedium vult, id habebo." Quid aliter dicas?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Also, I think the logic of "unless someone wants it, I'll have it" is flawed, because I myself am someone.
Nisi fallor, perperàm (logicè) dicatur ità, "Nisi aliquis id vult, id habebo", quià ego ipse aliquis sum.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

galen697 wrote:Something I've been wondering about lately when composing is this.

If Si aliquis is properly written as "si quis" (and the same is true for aliquid), what happens when writing "si alius"? Is that governed by the same rules regarding si, nisi, ni and ne?
If I remember correctly, the stand-alone quis is the original indefinite, and the ali- is a later addition. The si/num/ne environments bring back a fossilized un-prefixed version of the indefinite. If that is true, then the old ni/nisi/num/ne mnemonic is an oversimplification, and ali's do not drop away (they just aren't added in the first place). Obviously, alius would not be affected this sort of phenomenon.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Titus Larcius? Isn't he a raving Communist?
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

ptolemyauletes wrote:Titus Larcius? Isn't he a raving Communist?
He must have been a very progressive Etruscan!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Sorry, he's a friend of mine who just joined, and I couldn't resist. ;)
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.