Help for Ch 23 PR 7

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
RubyJewell
Textkit Neophyte

Help for Ch 23 PR 7

Post by RubyJewell »

The Latin sentence is
"Tolleturne fama huius medici istis versibus novis?"

benissimus translates it
"Is the fame of this doctor being uplifted by those verses?"

I don't see any accounting for the word "novis" in his translation, shouldn't it be "those new verses" ?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help for Ch 23 PR 7

Post by modus.irrealis »

I'd say you're right. I might even say it's "those new verses of yours" since "iste" often implies some connection with the person you're speaking to.

With "tolletur" though, it's future, right? ;) So the answer key also has that mistake.

I don't know what it says about me, but I read "tollo" here as "destroy". Without context, it hards to decide, but keep in mind that "tollo" can mean a lot of different things.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

modus.irrealis wrote:I'd say you're right. I might even say it's "those new verses of yours" since "iste" often implies some connection with the person you're speaking to.

I don't know what it says about me, but I read "tollo" here as "destroy". Without context, it hards to decide, but keep in mind that "tollo" can mean a lot of different things.
I agree on both accounts. Not sure if the book has tollitur or tolletur, but if it has tolletur then it's a mistake in the key.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

RubyJewell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RubyJewell »

I double checked, the book has tolletur, also, its PR #8 not #7, Thanks!