halfway... :)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

halfway... :)

Post by klewlis »

phil and I are officially halfway through wheelock, about to start chapter 21! I believe that is one semester's worth.<br /><br />I am celebrating with m&ms.<br /><br />:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:halfway... :)

Post by mariek »

<br />Woohoo! Congratulations to both of you. Are you both working through Wheelock together? Or did you both arrive at Chapter 21 independently?<br /><br />I will celebrate with you both by cracking into a pint of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake ice cream. I'll use any excuse to open a pint... ;)<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

chocolate cheesecake icecream! now I know what to ask for christmas from my mom. meanwhile, I'll be right over so save me some! lol<br /><br />we have been working at the same pace and working through some of the rough spots together via email... so it is very good. he keeps me motivated and diligent where I would otherwise slack ;)<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

and vice versa! ;)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I think it's great how you help each other and help keep each other on track.<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yes, it's very helpful to have someone in the same place as me. usually if one of us can't figure out a sentence, the other can. i highly recommend everyone getting a study partner if possible :)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Congrats to both of you! On your behalf I have cracked open my rolo icecream leaving me with 12 boxes of kraft dinnner and applejuice left. :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

It's so fun to have everyone celebrating along with us ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That's probably more than most people do in a semester (although my friend did 28, but his teacher is a psycho). In your honor, I am downloading Smyth's Greek Grammar ;D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=737;start=0#7198 date=1064811159]<br />yes, it's very helpful to have someone in the same place as me. usually if one of us can't figure out a sentence, the other can. i highly recommend everyone getting a study partner if possible :)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, it certainly sounds like a good idea. I know we also have people working through Benjamin L. D'Ooge's Latin for Beginners and others working through Moreland and Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course.<br /><br />Holler if you're working through or beginning Moreland and Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course. I've just started Unit 3. I know some of you (Bingley comes to mind) are more advanced in this M&F book; perhaps you guys should also find study partners closer to your level.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=MDS link=board=3;threadid=737;start=0#7201 date=1064811521]<br />Congrats to both of you! On your behalf I have cracked open my rolo icecream leaving me with 12 boxes of kraft dinnner and applejuice left. :)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That definitely sounds like a college student's kitchen. The only thing missing is a dozen packets of instant ramen! ;D<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=737;start=0#7202 date=1064811595]<br />It's so fun to have everyone celebrating along with us ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />... and I've just finished baking an Apple & Pear Tarte Tatin! Gotta make sure I do my "fruit" group... ;)<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Congratulations, Klewlis and Phil! In your honor, I shall eat a package of instant Ramen noodles. ;)<br /><br />Is any one else studying in the 11th lesson of Latin for Beginners? I am working through that chapter today. (I should be doing 12 tomorrow, 13 the day after, etc., if nothing comes up, so anywhere around the 11th lesson would work.) :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I don't know which lesson I be studying! <br /><br />I can not read Roman Numerals! Such is my great lack of knowledge and abundance of ignorance!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

doesn't dooge teach you roman numerals?? <br /><br />;)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />D'Ooge shows you how to spell out the cardinal and ordinal numbers. But he doesn't show you what the abbrevitations(?) are : I, II, III, X, XV, XX, L, LXXX, etc.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Probably he figured that you already knew them from your daily life. I learned mine from my math book; I hate the thing, but it's a good book. <br /><br />I is one; II is two, and III is three. V is five, and IV (one less than five) is four. VI (one more than five) is six, VII is seven, and VIII is eight. X is ten; IX (one less than ten) is nine. XI is eleven. L is fifty; XL is ten less than fifty, or forty, and LX is ten more than fifty, or sixty. So, XXXIV is thirty-four; LXXII is seventy-two, and so on. LXXX is eighty, C is one hundred, and XC is ninety. It's quite complicated at times, but you'll want to learn, I'm sure, since you love Latin so much.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Where are you up to in letters?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Episcopus, take a look at this webpage. Theres a nice Roman Numeral Table on it which should help you figure out what lesson number you're on.... <br /><br />http://www.yourdictionary.com/crossword ... ms.html<br /><br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Actually, 4 is IIII, thank you very much! IV was popularized much later on, by the church I believe. Remember that these are tally marks based supposedly on the fingers, and we certainly do have 4 fingers to hold up. It is only when we get past 10 that was have to deal with subtracting tallies (i.e. XC). I have heard that part of the reason they avoided IV was also because those characters were reserved for Jupiter (IVS+PITER = IVPPITER), though I cannot attest to the credibility on that.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Ah... that's very interesting. And it also explains why my book show both IV & IIII, and IX & VIIII.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Okay, okay! Sorry...<br /><br />Remember, I learned that from math, not Latin. Anyway, as far as I can tell, D'Ooge seems to use the subtracting tallies. <br /><br />It's nice to know what the Romans would have used, though! Thank you.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

along with the technical milestone, I am beginning to notice a cognitive breakthrough in my latin studies... things are just now beginning to become intuitive, so that I no longer have to analyze every word in order to *get* it. yay for that!<br /><br />but just *beginning* to become intuitive... so there is lots I still have to analyze ;) but things are becoming clearer and more natural... this is the point at which a language turns from hostile to friendly. love it. :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=737;start=15#7332 date=1064893275]<br />along with the technical milestone, I am beginning to notice a cognitive breakthrough in my latin studies... things are just now beginning to become intuitive, so that I no longer have to analyze every word in order to *get* it. yay for that!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That is so cool! 8)<br /><br />I'm beginning to feel things come together too, although not as much as you do since I haven't gotten as far as you have. I've just started Unit 3 in my book, and haven't yet gone through all the exercises, but I didn't have a seat on the bus today so I skipped ahead to the Reading at the end of the unit and was thrilled to have managed to get the gist of the story without too much effort.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hurrah for both of you! French is slowly starting to become intuitive for me, but I still have a long way to go on Latin and Greek.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Hmm....french at times can be very tricky and strange...the verbal idioms, usually to do with FAIRE, and reflexive verbs used when there is no need annoys me. I had to read a newspaper article, well written, about bursaries etc. <br /><br />People say that reading a newspaper is easy with a dictionary. It all depends on which newspaper.