Etymology of "anchor"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Etymology of "anchor"

Post by Neos »

Anchor derives from the Latin ancora, which is a transliteration of the Greek ancyra (anchor; άγκυρα).

The name of the capital of Turkey, Ankara, is merely a transliteration of the Greek name Ancyra (anchor; Άγκυρα) of the city

In Greek
a) ancyra: anchor [άγκυρα]
b) ancyrovolio: anchorage [αγκυροβόλιο]

ancyra --> ancora --> ancor --> anchor

More: http://ewonago.blogspot.com/

schnahz
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Etymology of "anchor"

Post by schnahz »

Hi Neos,
I was happy to find your comments on the etymology of the word anchor. In trying to find out about Galatia I came across two pages which may interest you as they did me. .http://www.consultsos.com/pandora/anchor.htm here they relate the word anchor to the idea of crooked. and http://www.unrv.com/provinces/galatia.php where the author mentions a Celtic origin to the word anchor.

Good words to you,
Schnahz

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

Hi Schnahz
Thank you very much for your comments.
Well, you are new in this forum. The moderator (annis) did not liked my philological beliefs (they were against those of the mainstream) and he suggested that I should avoid posting in this forum. I have respected that.
So, if he will allow me to come back in the forum, I will do it.
Thanks again
John Neos

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Neos wrote:Hi Schnahz
Thank you very much for your comments.
Well, you are new in this forum. The moderator (annis) did not liked my philological beliefs (they were against those of the mainstream) and he suggested that I should avoid posting in this forum. I have respected that.
So, if he will allow me to come back in the forum, I will do it.
Thanks again
John Neos
You are not giving a fair assessment of the situation. I don't think annis could care less about your philological beliefs. He (and others have expressed the same sentiment) just wants you to back up your claims with solid evidence. He suggested to stop posting if you can't back up your claims.

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

Well Bert, as you remember my references were mainly from old British lexika (printed before 1850). Many of the regular members laughed at me for this.
Anyway, if you can tolerate to hear something different from what you believe, something that is based on the work of old philologists, who knew ancient Greek in detail, I can come back with my etymologies.
Best regards
John Neos

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Neos wrote:Well Bert, as you remember my references were mainly from old British lexika (printed before 1850). Many of the regular members laughed at me for this.
Anyway, if you can tolerate to hear something different from what you believe, something that is based on the work of old philologists, who knew ancient Greek in detail, I can come back with my etymologies.
I think that what Bert meant by "solid evidence" is evidence that meets the standards of modern scientific research, not 150 year old folk etymologies. Just because the old philologists knew their Greek (which I don't doubt), that doesn't mean they knew their etymology as well as modern comparative linguists do.

When I asked William Annis about some aspects of Indo-European linguistics, he refered me to this book. Maybe you should check it out, "if you can tolerate to hear something different from what you believe".
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Neos wrote: I can come back with my etymologies.
Nope. You already have two separate blogs with the same information, and they continue to display the antiquated phantasies I objected to in the first place, and no apparent inclination to engage with current work.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

I'm sure Annis may allow you to stay if you keep those etymologies out. There are many other ways you may contribute.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

The difference between annis (and many others you didn't mention in order to make it appear as if it was something personal between annis and yourself) and you is this: If new studies knock down another of your favourite "etymologies", you will ignore it while annis will embrace it. If new studies verify one of your "favourite etymologies", you will embrace it and so will annis.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

I wonder...
Is "Neos" a linquist or even a scholar or philologist?
Dives qui sapiens est...

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Swth\r wrote:Is "Neos" a linquist or even a scholar or philologist?
The answer to that question is obvious, but that's not really the problem here. Textkit doesn't demand degrees of people before they can participate. The problem is one of acting expertly in a well-studied, highly technical subject about which one actually knows very little.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

My question was addressed because especially in Greece many people, irrelevant to Linguistics, assume that it is natural to have opinion on language matters, just because they are natural users of it. So, very often extreme positions are found about the (ancient) past of Greek language, its "mathematic" or even "divine" (sic!) structure, its superiority among all natural languages, etc. But the real problems begins on the fact that many highly educated persons, even philologists and teachers (of all specialities), accept such theories and boost myths beyond imagination about ancient greek technology, language, mythology, architecture, art... cultural achievements overall.In the aspect of language it's some kind of linguistic chauvinism, also found in other countries.
Dives qui sapiens est...