Greek: An Intensive Course

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
da1andonlysupa
Textkit Neophyte

Greek: An Intensive Course

Post by da1andonlysupa »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if there are any plans for a place for readers of the book:
Greek: An Intensive Course by Hardy Hansen and Gerald Quinn

It moves pretty fast but it's very thorough and there are mountains of exercises. However, there is no answer key and no online help. I would just switch to one of the books that are being talked about on this site but I'm 8 chpts into this one already (and this is a lot, for this book anyway). Having already been through Athenaze and also studying Latin, Sanskrit and Classical Armenian, I am sure I'd make a great contribution. But it's been a while since I studied Greek, and so I'm sure there is a lot of help that I could use as well. If there is any interest in this feel free to respond.

David Mitchell
12-21-08

alxmp
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greek: An Intensive Course

Post by alxmp »

I found the first 3 units here:

http://leitourgeia.wordpress.com/greek-resources/

Unit 4 coming in about 2-3 weeks.

Please show your appreciation to the chap that's doing the hard work.

Alex

da1andonlysupa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by da1andonlysupa »

alxmp wrote:I found the first 3 units here:

http://leitourgeia.wordpress.com/greek-resources/

Unit 4 coming in about 2-3 weeks.

Please show your appreciation to the chap that's doing the hard work.

Alex

Thanks Alex,
I checked out the site and it's pretty nice. However, I'm half way through the book and it doesn't seem that this person will be finished with the supplement for about a year or so. Still, I'm glad to see that someone has decided to take up the monumental task for such a worthy text.

David
Last edited by da1andonlysupa on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alxmp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by alxmp »

I've been in touch with HH and wouldn't take no for an answer. He will discuss this with the faculty this summer. A bit late for you and me, but hopefully others wil be able to benefit from this superb book.

Alex.

alxmp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by alxmp »

da1andonlysupa wrote:
Thanks Alex,
I checked out the site and it's pretty nice. However, I'm half way through the book and it doesn't seem that this person will be finished with the supplement for about a year or so. Still, I'm glad to see that someone has decided to take up the monumental task for suck a worthy text.

David
Just found some more stuff here:

http://www.voxopop.com/user/77e0d3b8-8e ... e6826da134

These are audio versions of the drills and excersises.

Pretty much most of the book. Not as good as a key I admit, but useable.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Here is the key: study more and eventually you shall know the answers :)

da1andonlysupa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by da1andonlysupa »

Essorant wrote:Here is the key: study more and eventually you shall know the answers :)
Well, for the most part I do know the answers, but every so often there is a syntax or semantic problem. To simply "study more" will not fix the problem. What's so bad about wanting help once in a while? Indeed, the reason why this site is up is so people can form a network of discussion and study groups. So if I mention a particular book, people will A: jump on board and start a study group, B: refer me to an answer key to compliment my efforts at self study, or C: help me with any specific problem I may be having. You, on the other hand, are none of these, and therefore very unproductive.
As for studying harder, I'm already a full-time student taking classes in Spanish Linguistics and Classical Armenian. This is just something I am doing on top of all of that for personal enrichment. In other words, I AM studying very hard.
Instead of browsing the forum judging people, why don't you try to help out??
Oh, and I'm not here to argue so I will not be responding to or reading any more of your responses in this thread. However, if you would like to issue a rebuttal for the sake of impressing other readers, feel free to do so. Just don't expect me to read it.

David

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

For the most part you received helpful replies and one tongue in cheek-play on words sort of reply.
I'm not too sure why you feel snubbed.

da1andonlysupa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by da1andonlysupa »

Bert wrote:For the most part you received helpful replies and one tongue in cheek-play on words sort of reply.
I'm not too sure why you feel snubbed.
no, i was only replying to one particular comment.