Putting macrons on vowels.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jacobus
Textkit Neophyte

Putting macrons on vowels.

Post by Jacobus »

Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me the "alt" combinations for macrons? I can create a shortcut myself, but any shortcut created on Microsoft word does not carry over to other pages, for some reason... If you know the alt combinations, though, they will do - hence ä ê á è ß - all done by alt combinations. What are the combinations for the relevant letters in Latin, though?

Thanks, I hope I have made my query clear enough.

Jack

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Putting macrons on vowels.

Post by Lex »

I don't think they exist, since the codes for these characters are above 255.

An "alt" (pun intended) way of handling the problem is to pick a nice font in Character Map, and cut/paste the characters you want into a text file. From there you can cut/paste them into documents, Textkit, etc. I do this with the New Athena Unicode font, since it has PUA (Private Use Area) characters for things like alpha w/ macron + acute accent, etc., that the Greek Polytonic keyboard can't do.

Or maybe there is a keyboard something like the Greek Polytonic keyboard for Latin?

[edit]
OK, I was wrong. I was using NotePad, which apparently doesn't handle alt key codes above 255.

Using Character Map and with a nice font selected (I'm using New Athena Unicode), find a characters you want, and look down at the bottom for a number, e.g.

U+0100: Latin Capital Letter A with Macron

Convert the number from hexadecimal to decimal. Hex 100 = Dec 256

Hold the Alt key down and type in 0256, using the keypad, into an app like WordPad or Word that recognizes these codes.

Result: Ā

Cut/Paste this to Textkit. :oops: Sorry, best I can do.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

NuclearWarhead
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NuclearWarhead »

The smart solution is to download MSKLC and create your own keyboard layout. With that programme, you can make more dead keys like the key with the accents for use with macrons or whatever you like.
Fiat iustitia et pereat mundus.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Jack, Mac or PC?

It's incredibly easy with Macs, and should be similarly with PCs.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

NuclearWarhead
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NuclearWarhead »

The best solution for documents is to use LaTeX. Then you would just type \={a} to get an a with a macron above.
Fiat iustitia et pereat mundus.

Jacobus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jacobus »

Salvete,

Unfortunately it's PC. Thanks for the suggestion, NuclearWarhead. I will try that out. Thanks

Jack

Beatus Pistor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Beatus Pistor »

I am sorry if it is too late a reply, but perhaps the MS's polytonic keyboard cannot type such accents and indeed the default Tahoma font(as well as gentium and Galatia SIL) cannot do such accents, but from my personal experience the American Philological Association's font 'New Athena' allows you to insert such symbols.
Once you have installed the font, in MS word 2003 go to 'insert'->symbol. There in the font selection select New Athena and scroll down until you reach the letter you wish to enter with the macron and acute/grav etc.
I am sure the process is similar with word 2007, because the "letters" with these accents are in this font.

Good luck