Pompey

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Pompey

Post by Keesa »

According to Bartleby.com, this is the day the Roman general Pompey was born. <br /><br />How do they know exactly which day he was born?

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Pompey

Post by bingley »

Plutarch tells us that Pompey was killed the day after his 59th birthday. <br /><br />It's my birthday as well, by the way.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Happy birthday! You share a birthday with a very interesting person. :)

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thank you. I just hope i don't end up of equal interest to future historians :o ;D

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Happy Birthday to the both of you....though I hope Bingley doesn't become nearly as infamous!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=742;start=0#7247 date=1064841908]<br />It's my birthday as well, by the way. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Les anniversaires sont une occasion spéciale pour célébrer et s'amuser. <br />Que le vôtre soit rempli de belles pensées qui dureront toute l'année! <br />Joyeux Anniversaire! <br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Que tu aies du grand plaisir; Que Dieu te bénisse. Que sa mère te donne un cadeau incroyable aussi. Que cet éveque se taise.<br />L'anniversaire pour moi c'est une occasion a laquelle ma mere ne me donne rien, mon pere il me demande de faire des choses dont je n'ai point besoin! (non non je me trompe!)<br />Joyeux Anniversaire!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=742;start=0#7250 date=1064845753]<br />Thank you. I just hope i don't end up of equal interest to future historians :o ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Perhaps you could be of interest...in nicer ways? ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

As the greatest Latin writer who ever lived?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Now that's more like it. ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />At Netherfield, with what pleasant birthday surprises Jane must have showered the greatest Latin writer who ever lived!<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

An engraved phallovitrobibulus perhaps.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

What more could a guy ask for?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=742;start=0#7360 date=1064905972]<br /><br />At Netherfield, with what pleasant birthday surprises Jane must have showered the greatest Latin writer who ever lived!<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I almost missed the point of this reference...I was just writing a post to inquire what Jane Bennet had to do with anything, when I realized that she isn't Jane Bennet anymore. Are you a fan of Jane Austen, Bingley? :)

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Very much so. I used to belong to a board, now defunct, where the participants were encouraged to take names from the divine Jane's novels. Somehow I couldn't quite see myself as Darcy, so I became Bingley, and have used it or Bingley Austen for my online activities ever since.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Ah, I figured as much when you got a reference to Anne Elliot earlier. <br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I am also a fan of Jane Austen's; I've read all of her six major (translation: finished) novels, some of them five or six times. <br /><br />You're so good with finding links that you probably have this already, but here's a site that might interest you: <br /><br />www.jasna.org <br /><br />That's the Jane Austen Society of North America, but they have articles and things like that, which you can enjoy regardless of where you are. (Indonesia, wasn't it?) <br /><br />Enjoy! <br /><br />Keesa

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thanks for that, Keesa. Here's one for you, The Republic of Pemberley: http://www.pemberley.com/index.html<br /><br /><br />

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Happy yesterbirthday, bingley. I watched only a couple of the movies based on Jane Austen novels. Usually movies miss much of the original work and I have read none of the novels, but I liked Emma acted by Gwyneth Paltrow.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

What you miss most in the films is Jane Austen's voice -- her little asides as she tells the story. You're reading along going with the story and she suddenly pulls you up short -- I can't believe she just said that. It's difficult to give examples, because they usually depend on your having read the previous couple of pages.