Locative

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Jbbrown
Textkit Neophyte

Locative

Post by Jbbrown »

I am a student who is studying Lingua Latina chapter six. Is the locative case used when "in" is asumed? Or is it used in some other place?

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Locative

Post by Rhodopeius »

The locative is an archaic case that seems to have fallen out of use before classical times. It is still used in classical Latin, however, with a few words. Domus, -us, is one example.

Domi sum, I am at home.

The form here is the same as that of the genitive singular of a second declension noun. To express motion toward, you would use this form:

Eo domum. I go home.

This one looks like the accusative singular of a second or fourth declension noun, with no preposition as you would use with other words that don't take the locative.

Eo ad montem. I go to the mountain.

And to express motion away from, you would use this form:

Abeo domo. I go away from home.

This one looks like the ablative singular of a second declension noun. Once again, no preposition.

Discedo a taberna. I part from the hut.

There are only a few common words that take the locative, but it is commonly used with the names of cities and towns, like Roma, -ae itself.

Romam veni. I came to Rome.

And so forth. You get used to to it after a little while. The only really strange thing about it is that the locative of place where resembles a genitive, which is a little confusing.

Just remember that when you're taunting Roman oppressors, the proper phrasing is "Romani, ite domum!"
Scott Sumrall. http://classicsexercises.blogspot.com

"Qui sis, non unde natus sis reputa."

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Rhodopeius wrote:Just remember that when you're taunting Roman oppressors, the proper phrasing is "Romani, ite domum!"
I show this movie to my students. :D I love it. Also, "What have the Romans ever done for us?"
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhodopeius »

I recently found out that John Cleese, the comedy legend who played the centurion in that scene, was a Latin teacher as a young man. Apparently, that scene is not far from the real methods used by pedagogues in the 1940's and 50's.
Scott Sumrall. http://classicsexercises.blogspot.com

"Qui sis, non unde natus sis reputa."

Iulia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulia »

Technically, the Locative case is used only to describe the Place Where a person or event is. (Motion Towards or Motion From are different constructions.) The Locative is used in just a few cases --with the names of cities, towns, small islands, and the two nouns, domus (as described above) and rus.

For names that are 1st or 2nd declension singular (such as Roma, -ae f. or Corinthus -i m.), the Locative is the same form as the Genitive. Thus, at/in Rome is "Romae" and at/in Corinth is "Corinthi." For plural nouns of the 1st and 2nd Declensions and nouns of all other declensions (such as Pompeii -orum m.pl. and Carthago -inis f.), the Locative is the same as the Ablative. Thus, at/in Pompeii is "Pompeiis" and at/in Carthage is "Carthagine" (or sometimes with the old spelling "Carthagini").

Spero vos videre Romae! /Iulia

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

A few others take the locative. The second declension feminine noun humus "earth/ground/soil" has a locative humi "on the ground". The word militia in the phrase domi militiaeque "at home and abroad (i.e. in military service)" is also locative, but the form only exists in that ossified phrase.
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.