Latin translation. please check.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
vik_man
Textkit Neophyte

Latin translation. please check.

Post by vik_man »

hi, i need to translate "free your mind" to latin

is "tuam libera mentem" correct?

thank you.

Slappo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin translation. please check.

Post by Slappo »

should be tui I think. Your mind is genetive use of you. Literally "The mind of you" = "your mind" since your is possessive here.

libera tui mentem (another appropriate word order would be mentem tui libera which places emphasis on freeing first and secondarily the mind)
Semper ubi sub ubi!

loqu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by loqu »

That use of "tui" really puzzles me. Why not simply the possessive adjective, "tuam"?

petitor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by petitor »

Hmm, I too believe "tuam mentem" is the correct form.

A possessive adjective (or any adjective for that matter) must agree with the noun it modifies. Since "mentem" is accusative, then it's adjective(s) must also be accusative. "tui" would apply only if the noun itself is genitive, as in "tui mentis". Compare with vir sui/tui generis - a man of his/your own kind. However, sententia tui me iuvat - the thought of you makes me happy vs. sententia tua me iuvat - your thought makes me happy.

nonne?
ignorantes latinam deo minore nati

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Do not use tui. tua is the possessive adjective. It already means your.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Superavi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Superavi »

Can't "tuam" be dropped all together? The possession should be understood. I can see why one would want to emphasize it, but if you don't mean to emphasize then it can be dropped. Is the intended audience sing. or pl.?

I'm just beginning to get accustomed to Perseus. I ran a search on libero just for kicks, and one of the things it mentions is that libero is often used with the abl. I just can't figure out whether this would be that case (as I said I'm just starting to get used to the website). Hopefully one of our more advanced members can clarify that point.

Slappo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Slappo »

Err... I'm wrong... they are right, tuam is already possessive... sorry!
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

Superavi wrote:Can't "tuam" be dropped all together? The possession should be understood. I can see why one would want to emphasize it, but if you don't mean to emphasize then it can be dropped. Is the intended audience sing. or pl.?

I'm just beginning to get accustomed to Perseus. I ran a search on libero just for kicks, and one of the things it mentions is that libero is often used with the abl. I just can't figure out whether this would be that case (as I said I'm just starting to get used to the website). Hopefully one of our more advanced members can clarify that point.
You could leave out tuam as implicit, but I think it should probably be included for the sake of clarity. Liberare, like many verbs and adjectives that imply separation, may take the ablative alone with the meaning of "from" or "of" in its separative sense. E.g. liberatus metu would mean "free of/from fear".
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

I quite like 'libera mentem', without 'tuam' in a general statement like this, where no specific person or specific person's mind is referred to. It's ... punchy.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”