Translation - Two Sentences (Rough)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
username003
Textkit Neophyte

Translation - Two Sentences (Rough)

Post by username003 »

Hi! I feel kind of bad about this, as I only just joined this forum in order to ask about these two sentences, but I don't need exact translations, just rough idea/meaning.

Please don't hate me. =(

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito
---and---
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Thank you!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation - Two Sentences (Rough)

Post by Lex »

I'm not a Latin expert, but a Google search gives:

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. =
"Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur. =
"What is asserted freely [i.e. without proof or reason] can be just as freely denied."
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

username003
Textkit Neophyte

Post by username003 »

Yeah, I found those on a shirt website, but it seems very wordy a translation for the given latin words. I also tried some translation websites, none of them gave results worth squat.
I was just wondering if anyone could corroborate what the shirt company says with personal/other knowledge.

Thanks!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

username003 wrote:Yeah, I found those on a shirt website, but it seems very wordy a translation for the given latin words.
Well, you did say "rough" translations! For more rigorous translation, I'll defer to the experts here.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Slappo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Slappo »

username003 wrote:Hi! I feel kind of bad about this, as I only just joined this forum in order to ask about these two sentences, but I don't need exact translations, just rough idea/meaning.

Please don't hate me. =(

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito
---and---
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Thank you!
Don't know the first one...

second one literally (from what I get):
What is asserted freely, (it) is denied freely
Semper ubi sub ubi!

username003
Textkit Neophyte

Post by username003 »

Lex wrote:
username003 wrote:Yeah, I found those on a shirt website, but it seems very wordy a translation for the given latin words.
Well, you did say "rough" translations! For more rigorous translation, I'll defer to the experts here.
This is true. I am looking here for basically confirmation, as I don't want to be wearing a shirt with words on it if I can't be completely sure what they even mean.

@Slappo - Thank you. As I expected, what I was given by the website is not an exact translation (with all the extra frills, so to speak), but it is still the same message.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
"Don’t you give in to (lit ‘cede to’) evils, but face (lit. ‘go against’) it more bravely."

The thing is that the latin seems a bit odd for the first part. I don’t quite see why the word ‘tu’ is in there, because there seems to be no need for such emphasis.
More importantly though, to my (limited) knowledge, a negative command is expressed by ‘ne + perfect subjunctive’, by ‘noli(te) + infinitive’, or by ‘cave + present subjunctive’. Ne + imperative seems odd to me...
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Kasper wrote:
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
The thing is that the latin seems a bit odd for the first part. I don’t quite see why the word ‘tu’ is in there, because there seems to be no need for such emphasis.
According to one web site I Googled, it comes from the Aeneid, Book VI. Maybe it makes more sense in context?

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Thanks Lex! yes it makes sense in that context. I suppose it even makes sense of the syntactical 'oddity' (in my mind), in light of the free-for-all that is latin poetry.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”