Latin abbreviations in manuscripts

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
snesci
Textkit Neophyte

Latin abbreviations in manuscripts

Post by snesci »

Greetings everyone,
I am new to this forum and am very excited to find it exists. My situation is that I possess rusty schoolboy Latin and have been set the task to translate some Latin texts (renaissance manuscripts -the letters of Marsilio Ficino) with a group of others whose latin is not much better than mine. the manuscripts contain copious abbreviations which make the task even more daunting, I have a list of common abbreviations but would like a complete list -can someone provide such a list or inform of a source for it?
Many thanks

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin abbreviations in manuscripts

Post by Alatius »

Well, there is always Cappelli. See for example the online version here:
http://www.hist.msu.ru/Departments/Medi ... index.html

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin abbreviations in manuscripts

Post by thesaurus »

Would it be possible to post any images here? I've been studying paleography a little this semester, and combined with my natural interest in humanist Latin, it could be fun.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute