Help with White Story 32: Virgil Praises

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Soroia
Textkit Neophyte

Help with White Story 32: Virgil Praises

Post by Soroia »

Will someone please help me with the first couple sentences of "Virgil Praises the Rustic life?" I have a translation but I know it's not right.

Oh excessively lucky farmer, quibus facilem victum divitssima terra volens fundit!
Otium iucundum (for this do I do "leisure is agreeable" or simply "agreeable leisure"?),
agri longe patentes (the farm is long open/has been open long [?]),
speluncae vivique lacus, mugitusque boum dulcesque sub arbore somni ab eis non absunt. (For that portion I have something about living in a cave by a lake with a sweet cow sleeping by a tree T_T)
Please help!

Here's just the latin for clearer reference:
O nimium fortunatos agricolas, quibus facilem victum divitissuma terra volens fundit! Otium iucundum, agri longe patentes, speluncae vivique lacus, mugitusque boum dulcesque sub arbore somni ab eis non absunt.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with White Story 32: Virgil Praises

Post by modus.irrealis »

Soroia wrote:Oh excessively lucky farmer
Note that agricolas here is plural, and that what's the following quibus refers back to
quibus facilem victum divitssima terra volens fundit!
Does it help to reorder it as quibus divitssima terra volens fundit facilem victum? volens is as an adjective that's best translated as an adverb "willingly."
Otium iucundum (for this do I do "leisure is agreeable" or simply "agreeable leisure"?),
The last sentence has a long list of nominative nouns that are all subjects of absunt, so it's of the form "A, B, C, ... are not lacking for them" or in English you'd normally say "They do not lack A, B, C..." So basically it's "agreeable leisure" and you don't need to supply a verb.
agri longe patentes (the farm is long open/has been open long [?]),
It's literally something like "fields that lie wide open", but it's basically "wide fields".
speluncae vivique lacus, mugitusque boum dulcesque sub arbore somni ab eis non absunt. (For that portion I have something about living in a cave by a lake with a sweet cow sleeping by a tree T_T)
If you break apart the -que's, the list here is:
speluncae "caves"
vivi lacus "living lakes"
mugitus boum "lowings of cows"
dulces sub arbore somni "sweet sleeps under a tree"

(I know "sleeps" isn't a word but I just want to stress that it's plural.)

Soroia
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help with White Story 32: Virgil Praises

Post by Soroia »

Thank you!