Lingua Latina- Chapter 6

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
lollipop4giselle
Textkit Neophyte

Lingua Latina- Chapter 6

Post by lollipop4giselle »

I don't really understand what's happening in this chapter. Can someone please explain it to me?? :?: :?: :?: :? :? :?

Superavi
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lingua Latina- Chapter 6

Post by Superavi »

Tell us the parts that you don't understand or need clarification on, and we can help from there.

Jacobus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lingua Latina- Chapter 6

Post by Jacobus »

Basically, in the first part, it's telling us a little about the roads and towns around Rome. After that, it continues the story you have been following in previous chapters about Iulius and his servants - you will, no doubt, recognise the names. I will give some sentences and approximate translations to highlight some vocabulary from that lesson.

In Italia multae et magnae viae sunt - In Italy there are many big roads - via, viae - road, roads.

Via Appia est inter Romam et Brundisium - The Appia road is between Rome and Brundisium - inter + accusative = between

Tusculum quoque prope Romam est - Tusculum is also near Rome - prope + accusative = near to

Brundisium non est prope Romam, sed procul ab Roma - Brundisium is not near Rome, but far away from Rome - procul ab + ablative = far from

Via Latina non tam longa est quam via Appia = The Latin road is not as long as the Appia road. Tam...quam = as...as (in comparisons)

Hope that gives you some sort of idea about what's going on at least in the first part. There are notes in the margins explaining the new vocabulary, for the most part - for example, most of the prepositions I've just translated have a drawing explaining them in the margins, as do many of the new items of vocab in the rest of the chapter. I hope that helps to some degree. If it doesn't, then give us the specific problems you're having and we'll be able to help you more effectively.

Vale,
Jack