William Whitaker's WORDS Dictionary

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

William Whitaker's WORDS Dictionary

Post by mariek »

<br />I know this has been mentioned many times in the threads, but I don't think it has ever been mentioned here. So here it is.<br /><br />William Whitaker's WORDS Dictionary. An online Latin Dictionary. You can also download it onto your computer.<br /><br />http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:William Whitaker's WORDS Dictionary

Post by klewlis »

yay!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:William Whitaker's WORDS Dictionary

Post by benissimus »

It has a pretty impressive vocabulary, but more importantly, it can recognize a word by its root... even if you don't know the noun nominative/verb stem. It is also very knowledgable about archaic forms that your typical textbook wouldn't inform you about (but certainly A&G would).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I just went to find this for my new computer and the link to the file (on the site) does not work! Apparently the exe file is missing. Does anyone have a copy of it handy or know where I can find one? I found some old versions on another website but would like the newer one. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

klewlis wrote:I just went to find this for my new computer and the link to the file (on the site) does not work! Apparently the exe file is missing. Does anyone have a copy of it handy or know where I can find one? I found some old versions on another website but would like the newer one. :)

Did you ever get a good working copy?

I just downloaded it from that same site, and it appears to work fine. I didn't even notice there was an updated version that allows you to toggle between Latin-to-English and English-to-Latin. Pretty nifty!

I also have the older ver 1.97 (from way before Jan 19, 2005) if you want a copy of that one.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I have tried the Windows version. And the toggling between E-to-L and L-to-E is enabled by tilde(~)s, not carot(^)s as the online manual says. ~e and ~l both in interactive and command line operations.(Anyway it's a great improvement. Or rather, another great software.) What about the Mac OS version?

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

The Mac version has a graphic interface where you can click on 'Latin to English' or 'English to Latin'.

The interface is simple, but effective.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl