Help for translation

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
heiss
Textkit Neophyte

Help for translation

Post by heiss »

I'm looking for a Greek scholar who can accurately translate the following phrase.
This is a Lucianic Version of the Septuagint. Because it is a translation from Hebrew it is somewhat awkward.

kai eipen o laos ouk exeleusei oti ean fugontes fugwmen "ou sthsetai en hmin kardia"

Sorry don't know yet how to type in Greek in a proper font.

I'm particularly troubled by the last quoted part.
The first part would be "and the people said you shall not go out because if we flee a fleeing..."

Then, what does the remaining part mean?
Is it correct to that kardia should be the subject of this phrase given that it is nominative?
Then should it be rendered "the heart will not stand upon us?"
There is no way that kardia could serve here as an object rather than subject, right?

Your help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

heiss
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help for translation

Post by heiss »

heiss wrote:I'm looking for a Greek scholar who can accurately translate the following phrase.
This is a Lucianic Version of the Septuagint. Because it is a translation from Hebrew it is somewhat awkward.

kai eipen o laos ouk exeleusei oti ean fugontes fugwmen "ou sthsetai en hmin kardia"

Sorry don't know yet how to type in Greek in a proper font.

I'm particularly troubled by the last quoted part.
The first part would be "and the people said you shall not go out because if we flee a fleeing..."

Then, what does the remaining part mean?
Is it correct to that kardia should be the subject of this phrase given that it is nominative?
Then should it be rendered "the heart will not stand upon us?"
There is no way that kardia could serve here as an object rather than subject, right?

Your help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry, I think I posted in a wrong place. I'll try to move this.

Anastasia
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help for translation

Post by Anastasia »

Quick question: is there an iota subscript under the last alpha in kardia? Might it have been left out by mistake? Even the Septuagint can have misprints.