Latin translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Zarathus
Textkit Neophyte

Latin translation

Post by Zarathus »

Hello,
I started painting the portrait of Caligula and I would like to add the latin equivalent of "I am still alive!" (ending line from Albert Camus's - Caligula).
Can someone please give me a translation?

Superavi
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin translation

Post by Superavi »

I'm pretty sure you could do it as "ipse tamen vivo". It literally translates to "I myself am still alive." I threw in the myself because I like the emphasis it gives in this statement.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I feel that "ego" is in order here.

Perhaps "Vivo etiam ego!" Tamen may work in place of etiam.

Of course, you must post a picture of your portrait here when you're done!
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

why the emphasis on 'I'?

I think "Etiam vivo" is nicer, emphasising 'And still'.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Kasper wrote:why the emphasis on 'I'?

I think "Etiam vivo" is nicer, emphasising 'And still'.
Yeah, now that I think about it there doesn't seem to be any need for personal emphasis. It would help to have more context. I was envisioning a boast, saying that "I am still alive... even though everyone else is dead," etc.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Superavi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Superavi »

I emphasized the subject since it felt it was boasting in saying, "I am so much better than you all. I am still alive." I can't figure out whether I like the emphasis more on the subject or on 'still'. I think we would need a bit more context.