Translation - Valentine wishes

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Drzeq
Textkit Neophyte

Translation - Valentine wishes

Post by Drzeq »

Hello!

I'm from Poland and I've never learned Latin. But my girlfriend has been learning it for about half a year and I would like to surprise her with valentine wishes in Latin. Could you help me, please? :)

I need this text translated:
"Valentine kisses from you-know-who!"

Is it possible to translate it with similar meaning?

Thank you very much! :)
Drzeq.

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translation - Valentine wishes

Post by Rhodopeius »

There are many possible ways of translating that. Here's one suggestion:

Dulcia oscula quidam tibi notus mittit die Sancti Valentini. Lit., Someone you know sends sweet kisses on St. Valentine's day.

You might also try using a nice expression like mea lux, literally "my light," or mea vita, "my life," to address you sweetheart.
Scott Sumrall. http://classicsexercises.blogspot.com

"Qui sis, non unde natus sis reputa."

Drzeq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Drzeq »

Really beautiful! :D
Is it correct to join the 'addressing words' with the main sentence with a comma? And can I write her name right after that?
Dulcia oscula quidam tibi notus mittit die Sancti Valentini, mea lux Sophia.
Or should I use a phrase like 'for you, my light Sophia' or enter a phrase 'for you' inside the main sentence?
Great thanks!

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhodopeius »

Yes, it is good to break off the name of the person you are addressing with commas for clarity. You can certainly write her name after that.

Your sentence:

Dulcia oscula quidam tibi notus mittit die Sancti Valentini, mea lux Sophial.

Is fine.

I don't think you need to add "for you," anywhere, because even in English, one would want to avoid the redundancy of the word "you." For example:

Someone you know sends sweet kisses to you on Valentine's day.

Perhaps only to my ear but adding another pronoun could be redundant. Maybe it's different in Polish! :)

Drzeq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Drzeq »

In this context in Polish an extra pronoun can be added to emphasize your respect and to make the sentence more private and emotional.
But you are right, in English it doesn't sound good. :)
Thank you very much for your help! The effect will surely be stunning! :D
Best wishes from Poland! :)
Drzeq.

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhodopeius »

That's interesting. Now I want to learn Polish. I've been wanting to learn my first Slavic language for a long time, and I tended to think that Russian was the logical choice, being the most widely spoken, but in my area of New England there is a deeply rooted Polish presence. As a child I played with Polish children in my neighborhood and I begged them to teach me their language, which was impossible for kids of that age but I didn't know better. :)

Drzeq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Drzeq »

Polish is a difficult language, even for the natives. :P For foreigners it is very hard to learn because of plenty exceptions in our complecated gramma. If you really want, it of course isn't impossible. :) But you have to know it won't be easy. ;)

The surprise with the Latin sentence was nice, but... Google.com disappointed me. I hoped it refreshes its data base once about 2 or 3 weeks. I was really VERY surprised, when my girlfriend told me, that when she passed this sentence into Google, the first result was this forum... :P Of course she knows my nick... I hoped it won't appear there for AT LEAST 1 weak... But NO. Shame. :P

But anyway, she wasn't expecting me writing in Latin. ;)

I'm 18 years old and I've been learning English for about 8 years. It is very few. And as it isn't my native language, I'm surely making many mistakes. If you have some time, please correct them. I'm a bit tired while writing this and I'm sure there are many. :P I would like to know my mistakes because it is the best, if not the only way to learn a foreign language. :)

Thank you once again! :)
Drzeq.

P.S.
If you would like to get some information about Polish, Poland or whatever, write to me. I'll do my best to help you. :) My mail is: jacektol@autograf.pl

Drzeq
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Drzeq »

P.S. 2
Greetings from Sonia Dorothea Aurea - my Kitty ;)