Word Frequency in Homer

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Word Frequency in Homer

Post by Lex »

My conversation with Junya has given me an idea for my own use. Is there any source out there with a list of the most commonly used words in Homer, most commonly used words first? I know that the Chicago Homer has word counts, but I'm looking for already compiled statistics.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Word Frequency in Homer

Post by modus.irrealis »

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

modus.irrealis wrote:You might find the book at http://www.archive.org/details/homericv ... 00owenrich useful.
Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thank you.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

You can also make your own customized word frequency lists using the Perseus Vocabulary Tool:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/vocab?lang=greek

It's kind of neat because you can select which books to include, which frequency thresholds to use for including vs. excluding words and you can choose how they are sorted. Also, of course, it's nice because the output is text (allows you to copy, paste, resort, etc.), not a scanned pdf file. Works not just for Homer, but any Greek texts available on Perseus. There is also a similar tool for Latin.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

nov.ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov.ialiste »

modus.irrealis wrote:You might find the book at http://www.archive.org/details/homericv ... 00owenrich useful.
An updated (1969) version of this book is available: Homeric Vocabularies (by Owen and Goodspeed).

It is the same book with one major improvement: the English translations of the Greek words are now alongside each Greek word. In the original book the English words are listed separately and cross-referenced to the Greek.

I bought a copy from Amazon(UK). It's a smallish and not very expensive book.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

edonnelly wrote:You can also make your own customized word frequency lists using the Perseus Vocabulary Tool
Sweet. Now that I know there are 1439 unique words in book 1 of the Iliad alone, it gives me that much more motivation to use this tool.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Recently started using this book, but I've started thinking, wouldn't it be better to list verbs with all their principle parts?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

Thank you so much for this reference! I was wondering which of these two verbs, which translate the Latin sūmere, was used more often: λαμβάνω or αἱρέω. And I got my answer -- fast! Nice. :)

gfross
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gfross »

edonnelly wrote:You can also make your own customized word frequency lists using the Perseus Vocabulary Tool:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/vocab?lang=greek

It's kind of neat because you can select which books to include, which frequency thresholds to use for including vs. excluding words and you can choose how they are sorted. Also, of course, it's nice because the output is text (allows you to copy, paste, resort, etc.), not a scanned pdf file. Works not just for Homer, but any Greek texts available on Perseus. There is also a similar tool for Latin.
And thank YOU for this reference, too! A very handy tool to have!