Answer Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Composition

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
D.Domingos
Textkit Neophyte

Answer Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Composition

Post by D.Domingos »

Hello all,

I'm a new poster and had 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have an answer key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Composition. I'm a self learner and an answer key would really help. I've completed Wheelocks.

2. I'm learning German with the idea of possibly getting a Masters or Phd in the Classics (of which reading comprehension in both French and German is required). What I find interesting is that the German Noun Declension Paradigms (also for adjectives, pronouns) use a case order of Nominative -- Accusative -- Dative -- Genitive. In Greek and Latin the noun declensions use a case order of Nominative -- Genitive -- Dative -- Accusative -- Ablative (for Latin only) -- Vocative. I'm wondering if it is ok to make the German paradigms conform to the Latin and Greek in terms of the order of the cases? Is there a reason that the cases in the German declension are ordered differently or is it arbitrary?

Thanks very much!

David

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Answer Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Composition

Post by ingrid70 »

I think it depends on the German textbook you use. When I learned German at school, we used the order nom, gen, dat, acc. When I Google on "Deutsche Grammatik", the first hit gives the order nom, acc, dat, gen, the second (which is German) gives the nom, gen, dat, acc order.

Ingrid

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

D.Domingos wrote:What I find interesting is that the German Noun Declension Paradigms (also for adjectives, pronouns) use a case order of Nominative -- Accusative -- Dative -- Genitive. In Greek and Latin the noun declensions use a case order of Nominative -- Genitive -- Dative -- Accusative -- Ablative (for Latin only) -- Vocative. I'm wondering if it is ok to make the German paradigms conform to the Latin and Greek in terms of the order of the cases? Is there a reason that the cases in the German declension are ordered differently or is it arbitrary?
I believe it's done according to the taste of the textbook or grammar author. I am studying Homeric Greek using Pharr's Homeric Greek. He uses NGDAV or (NV)GDA in the singular, (NAV)(GD) in the dual, and (NV)GDA in the plural! I prefer and use NVAGD ordering, since 1) N, V, & A are the same in singulars and plurals of neuters, and in duals of all genders; 2) G & D are the same in duals of all genders; 3) N and V are sometimes the same; and 4) a common accentuation rule applies to G & D, but not N, V, or A. I find that this grouping of commonalities helps me in memorization.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

D.Domingos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by D.Domingos »

Thanks for the replies thus far! It sounds like I may be able to adjust the German paradigm to suit my accustomed case order.

I will be out of email contact for a few days but will check in and have better responses when I return on Monday...

D

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Patruus »

Downloadable PDFs -
. Key to Exercises 1-67 - http://tinyurl.com/bww66l
. Key to continuous passages - http://tinyurl.com/c9thgp

Patruus

D.Domingos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by D.Domingos »

Gratias ago tibi!!! Libro linguam latinam meliorem legere dicereque spero. I'm sure I said that wrong, hopefully with the book and the answer keys you provided i'll be able to say the sentence properly in a few months. We shall see...

Thanks for the tips on Deutsch as well.

This forum est plenum bonorum!