Curious little poll...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Curious little poll...

Post by benissimus »

Just curious how many you have in your inbox. Mine has become quite cluttered lately and doubled in the past 2 weeks. I have 48 messages right now (and refuse to delete them).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:Curious little poll...

Post by Raya »

It is always a delight to receive PMs... :D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Should I put about how many I've recieved or how many are in there now? I've had to delete some; it was getting quite crowded. <br /><br />I love the PM because it lets me discuss things that may not be of interest to the entire Textkit community; Emma's icons, for example. (I learned a lot about a particular movie actor from those posts. ;) ;D)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=679;start=0#6411 date=1064188603]<br />Just curious how many you have in your inbox I have 48 messages right now beat that losers[/quote]<br /><br />Ooo Mr. Popular :-*<br /><br />Well, I have had messages aplenty in my box, but they are usually from the many who don't like me but don't want to become in trouble by posting offensive things publicly! Nevertheless, It is always a delight to receive PMs... :D<br /><br />Only joking I have to say, although that spoils the whole demention thereof :-\

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol, Keesa. <br />Anyway I've got 10 in my in-box right now.<br />On another forum I frequently visit they don't have PMs and the General Discussion board does get very cluttered... PMs really are very handy.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I went ahead and listed how many are in my inbox right now; exactly twenty-one, although that may fluctuate wildly through the evening. :)

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

Keesa wrote:<br /><br />I only have five, and although I agree with Keesa, I seem to have a slightly difficult time finding people who share any common interests...

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I'm not sure I understand the question.<br /><br />Are you asking how many messages I have right now?<br /><br />Or the total number of messages I've ever received?<br /><br />The answer will vary. And I have been deleting older PMs. Wouldn't want Jeff to get on our case about taking up disk space. ;) ... even if the total amount is negligible.<br /><br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

This is very odd. Does anyone else have mariek's post shown as puella parva's sig line (signum puellae parvae?)?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Yes. And your post looks weird, too. Jeff?!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

yay I'm small

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Mariek's post is squished onto the right-hand side, whereas all the other posts (after hers) are squished onto the left-hand side. The posts before Puella Parva's appear to be normal.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I seems that Puella Parva's post has one or more unclosed quote tags. Try quoting her post and see. :P

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not sure what happened there. Waiting for Jeff to return and wave his magic wand to fix the problem...<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote][/quote]<br /><br />I'm scared.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

O di immortales!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It appears to be normal on this page-so far, anyway. ;)

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Well, at least it looks funny... ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

If you're interested, Benissimus, I've got 32 in my inbox today. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

and I have LVI ;)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />56 total messages ever received? Or just 56 in your Inbox today?<br /><br />I've cleared out mine, so there are zero. I assume the Roman numeral for zero is still 0?<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Aye, 56 today, and I have never cleared it (so many memories :))<br /><br />The Romans had no concept for zero, that came quite a bit later. There was of course "nothing" but not in a numerical sense.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />What do you mean by no concept of nothing? It's hard to conceive such a notion.<br /><br />So instead of zero, they would say there is "nil"? Hodie nil nuntii in caspa tabellaria habeo.<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

"Nothing" is a conceptual idea. What they lacked was "zero" which is a purely mathematical concept. It's not so inconceivable if you realize that you can get by for the most part without using the number zero.<br /><br />We have zero hens? Why not just say "We have no hens?"<br /><br />With math, what is 10-10? According to a Roman, that would be "nothing". What is 0x15? Well... they just didn't do that kind of thing.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Perhaps I should have said instead, "Hodie nulli nuntii in caspa tabellaria habeo."<br /><br />I guess the Romans also didn't do negative numbers, imaginary numbers, etc. I would have enjoyed math classes back then. ;D<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

would you? Try dividing CXLIV by VIII without doing any converting to our system.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Thank the gods the numerical system was mostly for counting ;D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Well, the answer is clearly XVIII. Isn't it obvious? ;D<br /><br />So here's a question...<br /><br />If we were to present this problem in Arabic numerals to the Romans (viz. 114 and 8 ), would they convert these two Roman numerals (viz. CXLIV and VIII) before doing their calculation?<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Show your working, mariek. >:( ;D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Not if they didn't understand Arabic numerals...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

But if they did?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=679;start=15#7364 date=1064907759]<br />Show your working, mariek. >:( ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />OK, I admit to converting from Roman numerals to Arabic numerals before doing the calculation, and then converting the result back to Roman numerals. (Hence, my question earlier about whether a Roman would have converted from Arabic nuremars to Roman numerals to do their calculation.) Do you think less of me now for doing this? ::)<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh! Marie... :'(

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

YES - Please keep the clutter down any clean out your PMs when you can. It actually does take up database space. About 3 MB right now.
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Well, I couldn't have performed the calculations in Roman numerals, either, so don't feel bad. <br /><br />And I do make an effort to keep my inbox cleaned out. I even have a Word document where I copy-and-paste the messages I especially want to keep, so I can go ahead and delete them.