Shelmerdine book

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
lozzic
Textkit Neophyte

Shelmerdine book

Post by lozzic »

Salvete!

I have not been active or read this forum for quite some time (probably early-mid 2008), however I have not stopped with learning Latin :D . I originally intended to use D'Ooge but decided I was not too keen on it so I bought a copy of the first Cambridge Latin course book. I managed to work through most of it on my own during the first half of my A2 levels but due to other commitments progress was slow. Since being at University I have actually enrolled on a Latin course using the book 'Introduction to Latin' by Susan C. Shelmerdine that is designed to be year long but we manage to fit it in less time between holidays at a rate of two chapters a week (40 new words a week). I am currently half way though this text book at chapter 18 (there are 32 chapters). I am finding it very enjoyable, though very difficult as everyone who does Latin knows. I was wondering, does anyone else know of, has seen, or used this textbook? I would be very interested to know if this is the case and what you have heard of it or think of it. 8)

lozzic

Trimalchio
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Shelmerdine book

Post by Trimalchio »

It's a very good book. There are cases where Shelmerdine lists definitions for vocabulary that are extremely rare, which can be bothersome, but every textbook I've seen does that.

Be sure to check out the website that goes along with the book. It's super helpful.

lozzic
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Shelmerdine book

Post by lozzic »

Trimalchio wrote:It's a very good book. There are cases where Shelmerdine lists definitions for vocabulary that are extremely rare, which can be bothersome, but every textbook I've seen does that.

Be sure to check out the website that goes along with the book. It's super helpful.
Ah! Someone else on the internet who knows of this text book! It seems to be little known...
Yes I think it is a very good book, though I have limited experience in being able to judge that. I agree that some of the word definitions given are a little obscure and also they seem to vary between being rather narrow in scope or too broad in possible translations. It seems to give very clear, thorough and helpful explanations of grammar which I like :) .

I take it the website you refer to is http://www.leakyroofproductions.com/ ? Yes our teacher told us about that site, it has some very useful excercises. The only downside I find is the lack of macrons used but I suppose that is down to preference.

Thanks for the reply :)