Textkit Logo

Consonantal Assimilation

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Consonantal Assimilation

Postby Lex » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:12 am

With the verb δέχομαι, the aorist indicative middle, 1st person singular is given by Pharr as ἐδέγμην. I'm not great with athematic aorists, and I'm not sure about the consonantal rules. Is the following anywhere close to correct?

Singular 1st ἐδέγ-μην -> ἔδέγμην
2nd ἔδεγ-(σ)ο -> ἔδεγο, ἔδεξο ;γ in ἔδεγσο becomes κ by partial assimilation to σ, then κσ becomes ξ.
3rd ἔδεγ-το -> ἔδέκτο ;γ becomes κ by partial assimilation to τ.

Dual 2nd ἔδεγ-σθον -> ἔδεχθον ;σ between two consonants dissapears. Then γ becomes χ by partial assimilation to θ.
3rd ἐδέγ-σθην -> ἐδέχθην ;σ between two consonants dissapears. Then γ becomes χ by partial assimilation to θ.

Plural 1st ἐδέγ-με(σ)θα -> ἐδέγμε(σ)θα
2nd ἔδεγ-σθε -> ἔδεχθε ;σ between two consonants dissapears. Then γ becomes χ by partial assimilation to θ.
3rd ἐδέγ-ντο -> ἐδέγατο ;"vocalic" ν becomes α.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Consonantal Assimilation

Postby annis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:18 am

William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Consonantal Assimilation

Postby Lex » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Oooh, examples! Perfect! I had forgotten all about this article. :oops: Thanks.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners