uvidus vs madidus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

uvidus vs madidus

Post by mariek »

What's the difference between these two words which both mean "wet"?<br /><br />Is it better to describe the soggy cat as feles uvida or feles madida?<br />

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:uvidus vs madidus

Post by whiteoctave »

uvidus typically means wet with water whereas madidus is a more poetic (and sinister) word and can be used of any substance. I have seen it used often with sanguine or cruore to mean "drenched in blood"<br /><br />~dave

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Thanks for explaining the differences. Interesting how madidus is more sinister. I rather like the sound of madidus, I like it more than uvidus.<br /><br />I've since learned of the word madefactus. How does this word fit in with the other two?<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Madefactus is less of an adjective and more of a preposition. It literally means "made wet" (as you know) or just "wettened" as opposed to just "wet".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae