New Textkit censorship?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

New Textkit censorship?

Post by Interaxus »

Submitting a new topic just now (a link to William Smith's English-Latin dictionary) I got a message saying (roughly) 'Your post may or may not be acceptable depending on some moderator's whim. You will be informed in due time'.

What's happening? :?

Cheers,
Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: New Textkit censorship?

Post by Interaxus »

PS. My post was to Outside Links of Interest.

Cheers,
Int

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

It is probably to make sure your post is not something that doesn't belong at the site (advertisement, indecent material, etc).

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Alright, that explains it :)

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Essorant:

What explains what?

Cheers,
Int

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

This is what I submitted:
.................................................................................
Have just downloaded Smith’s English-Latin dictionary from 1871 (145MB) and wish to share this will anyone who hasn't yet done so:

http://www.archive.org/details/copiouscriticale00smit

What a treasure! Every page is a lesson in itself. An example: I chanced upon the entry for ‘assert’ and now I know that Cicero said: I assert nothing, I examine all things, nihil affirmo, quaero omnia.

Picasso’s ‘I don’t seek, I find’ expresses something of what i feel as I butterfly from page to page.

(Non quaero, invenio. Hmm, can that be Latin?) Never mind, let’s check out ‘invenio’.

find : 1. invenio, veni, ntum,
4 (to light upon; with or without search) : neither at home nor in the city do I find any one who . . ., neque domi neque in urbe invenio quenquam, qui, etc , Pl.: he finds the ships ready to sail, naves ad navigandum paratas invenit, Caes. B. G. 5, 5:

I love those examples. They just keep on coming.

Of course, Latin-Latin dictionaries are good too!
...................................................................................

Sounds pretty innocuous to me. Perhaps it's just the New Pale-Blue System screwing up again...?!

Cheers,
Int

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Sorry. I misread your second post and thought it meant you found out it was moved (from here) to "Outside Links of Interest".

Perhaps the moderators are taking posts that begin threads aside now to review them before they let them be "published", not because they know already something is wrong with the post, but to make sure (before people are exposed to it) that nothing is wrong with it. This would keep posts such as Neos' etymolgies, or other things that the moderators don't think should be posted from ever being posted to begin a thread and help save from much unneedful ado about it.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Don't forget too, that the board was recently screwed up because of some jerk. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with your post, but I would imagine that there will be some justifiable erring on the side of caution until all of the kinks get worked out.
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

This is a new feature (*cough*) of this version of the forum software.

When I saw this post I went looking for that mysterious "moderator control panel." Finally found it.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;