Phrase help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
minidunny
Textkit Neophyte

Phrase help

Post by minidunny »

Hi Guys, Im looking for a translation from an english phrase to latin.

The phrase is 'Keep right on to the end'

Someone had suggested 'Recte age ad finem'

What do you think?

Thanks

JT

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: Phrase help

Post by Kasper »

Hi MD,
the translation you have means something like: "do the right/correct thing to the end'.

I think, and I may be wrong, what you are after is: "dextra age in finem", which means something like "keep on the right side to the end".

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

HI minidunny. Welcome, Salve parvolalatrina. Gratus tuus adventus.
I think "Ad finem obdura" = "Keep right on to the end"
obdurare = to persist, endure, stick it out

"Sed obstinamente perfer, obdura!" says Catullus
so you can say "Perfer!" on its own. It means "Endure to the end"!!!!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

If you're talking street directions Si quis viam quaesit, dicis..., you say, I believe, "Tene viam ad finem (ipsam)" "Keep on this course/road to the (very) end" or "Press straight ahead..." = "In directum niti..." or "I in directum..."

Overlooked this: "Obdura!" will do for "Keep right on to the end", also, without "ad finem" (unless you like the emphasis and want to include "ad finem"), just like "Perfer!"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

minidunny
Textkit Neophyte

Post by minidunny »

Thanks guys very useful help!