Dominicae ex

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Andras
Textkit Neophyte

Dominicae ex

Post by Andras »

I've never studied Latin, so I'm just trying to piece this together and make sure it's grammatically correct...

http://arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/
says that "Dominica" means "demesne"

From my searching, I found that -a => -ae for plural.

and ex means "of"...

So does "Dominicae ex [country]" translate to "Demesnes of [country]"?

Thanks for your help!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Dominicae ex

Post by adrianus »

Hi Andras and welcome
Salve Andras et gratus nobis tuus adventus in forum

"ex" (+ ablative) means (sibi vult/significat) "out of" or "from" (but not "away from")
"dominicam suam ex his terris fecit" = "he made his demesne from (out of) these lands"
or/vel
"dominicae ex his terris exsistunt" = "the demesnes arise from (out of) these lands"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Andras
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andras »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I should have probably provided a better context for the question. :)

I'm an amateur computer game programmer, and I'm trying to come up with a title for a game.
The players and I have been tossing potential names around for months, and the best one so far is Terulia.
Terulia would be the new name for the world, sort of like Gaia or Earth.
Some people think that Terulia by itself is too bland, so that led to generic suggestions like Lands of Terulia, Terulian Adventures, etc.
Anyway, I had a random thought - that a Latin descriptor might sound cool.
The game is a multiplayer RPG where people can take over and build towns, called domains in the game.
While searching for the Latin word for "dominion" (since I couldn't find domain), I found the Latin translation for demesne.
Demesne is technically more accurate anyway and sounds better than Dominatio.

So I guess what I need is the Latin translation for "Demesnes of Terulia" or to know if my translation is correct.
Or if anyone has a better suggestion for a game title, I'd be happy to hear it. :D

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Another word for for "demesne" is "dominium" (masculine) = the property of a lord, or "dominus". Plural = "dominia"
Aliud verbum pro "demesne" est "dominium" (nomen generis masculini), terrae domini. Numeri pluralis est "dominia".

What about [The] Reaches of Terulia or [The] Terulian Frontiers in English.
Last edited by adrianus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Andras
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andras »

so that would be ... Domina ex Terulia?
I'm still not sure if I'm getting "ex" right or if it should be something else.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

To use Ex is wrong. Well, Dominicae Teruliae is Latin for the "Demesnes of Terulia", but only if "Dominica" is reliable for demesne. "Dominica" may be a medieval Latin term or later, and certainly it isn't in my dictionaries (OLD, L&S, Niermeyer, Ainsworth, Du Cange and others). In fact, because "Dominicum" exists in Du Cange's dictionary for Medieval Latin, I suspect "DOMINICA" is already the PLURAL for demesnes (the plural of DOMINICUM). (And there is also DOMANIUM and DOMINICALE and DONNECALE for demesne or domain, according to Du Cange). The more I think about it, the more I think your source is already using a plural noun, DOMINICA, for demesnes, although it says singular demesne. It could be a mistake in that source. DOMINICALIA TERULIAE sounds very nice for DEMESNES of TERULIA, I think.

By the way, are you using proprietary or shelf tools for the game engine?

Andras
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andras »

That's quite a lengthy explanation. :)

Dominicum does sound like a more reasonable translation for the singular form.
^^^ this expert opinion based on my brief experience with Latin, today 8) ^^^

Dominicalia Teruliae sounds awesome as a title.
What's the difference between that and Dominicae Teruliae?
or Dominae Teruliae? (if I put the right ending on it)

The game engine is http://www.byond.com/.
2D, low tech, and not very flashy, but good for my needs :)

The game is actually a retooling of a Final Fantasy fan-game I've been working on for some time.
I'd like to keep expanding the free-to-play game without any looming copyright issues.
Once the conversion is complete in a couple of months, I'll post a link to it. :wink:

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Andras wrote:What's the difference between that and Dominicae Teruliae?
or Dominae Teruliae? (if I put the right ending on it)
Dominicae is a suspect term, because Dominica is not certain as the singular. If dominica is correct, then dominicae will be correct.
Dominae is wrong (it means Ladies)

The singulars and plurals are these:
dominica (singular), dominicae (pl) but suspect, I think
dominium (singular), dominia (pl) demesnes
dominicum (singular), dominica (pl) demesnes
domanium (singular), domania (pl) demesnes
dominicale (singular), dominicalia (pl) demesnes
donnecale (singular), donnecalia (pl) demesnes

Teruliae = "of Terulia" (genitive case)

Andras
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andras »

okay, then I'll use Dominicalia Teruliae :D

How exactly do you pronounce "iae"?
I'm thinking "ee-ay" but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
And I'm assuming the rest of it is pronounce just like it's spelled.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

For the latin "-iae", saying "ee - eye" in English will do it (or "ee-ai" for the same sound), Andras, as two syllables. If you wanted to be fancy, you could say "jai" in one syllable.
The rest is as spelled, yes (with a long 'u' said as "oo" in Terulia, I suppose you want it).
BTW if your game in set in classical Roman times then it's best to say "dominium" (or "dominicum" and get away with it) for demesne or domain, but after Roman times say what you like from the list above. If you're bothered by historical details, that is.

Andras
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Andras »

just want to make sure I have this right :)

"-iae" sounds like the vowels in "me pie"
and "u" in Terulia is like muse and not rule?

The domain management system is feudal, and the medieval demesne is the model. :)
It's really a fantasy setting, so aspects of different cultures and time periods will be represented.

Thanks for your help, adrianus!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Andras wrote:and "u" in Terulia is like muse and not rule?
Pronounce as you like, of course, but typically in most Latin/Romance accents you would say the 'u' as in 'rule', and not as in 'muse'.
Yes "me pie"