Hearing Latin Pronounced?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jamesbath
Textkit Member

Hearing Latin Pronounced?

Post by jamesbath »

Hi,

I am beginning to learn Latin now, at age 58. Can somebody direct me to a source that audibly voices Latin words? I am studying Wheelock's Latin and Hans H. Orberg's Lingva Latina, Pars I, Familia Romana. Obviously, to hear some of these words spoken aloud would be invaluable to the learning process.

Can some one point me to sound files, online Latin dictionaries with audio capabilities, CD ROMS, etc?

Thanks.

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Re: Hearing Latin Pronounced?

Post by Swth\r »

Salve, mi amice. (High, my friend)

Click on this link
Last edited by Swth\r on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dives qui sapiens est...

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Great link! Thanks (gratias?) for this rich resource.

Trimalchio
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Trimalchio »

There's a radio station of some sort that only speaks Latin on the web. I forget the URL but I'm sure Google could help you.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Thanks for that tip.

I stumbled across a blog at -- http://blog.dickinson.edu/?cat=815 -- where excerpts from poems of Horace, Ovid, Vergil, and others are written in Latin, read in English translation, and then read again in Latin, slowly. It's very nice to follow the words visually while listening to them recited.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Trimalchio wrote:There's a radio station of some sort that only speaks Latin on the web. I forget the URL but I'm sure Google could help you.
YLE Nuntii Latini

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

I'm keeping a list of links to recordings online here. There are also a not so few recordings using italianate pronunciation on the net, but I have only included sites which use the restored classical pronunciation.

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Alatius wrote:I'm keeping a list of links to recordings online here. There are also a not so few recordings using italianate pronunciation on the net, but I have only included sites which use the restored classical pronunciation.
Great information. Thanks. I have some of it playing right now in the background.

I obviously came to the right place, textkit.com and this forum, for a quality education in Latin. My wife and I are both very happy we found the site and excited about everyone's input into this discussion thread.

Thanks!

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

jamesbath wrote:Hi,

I am beginning to learn Latin now, at age 58. Can somebody direct me to a source that audibly voices Latin words? I am studying Wheelock's Latin and Hans H. Orberg's Lingva Latina, Pars I, Familia Romana. Obviously, to hear some of these words spoken aloud would be invaluable to the learning process.

Can some one point me to sound files, online Latin dictionaries with audio capabilities, CD ROMS, etc?

Thanks.
Hi,

I have no experience with the audio offered by Orberg himself at http://www.pullins.com/txt/LinguaLatina.htm#set_1 but I've heard that they are fairly good ones and they've been recorded by Orberg himself. I encourage you to follow and post every doubt which arises.
I also highly recommend Alatius' and Metrodorus' sites.

Regards,
Gonzalo

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve JacobeBalneum.
I really like Orberg's recordings. They're great models.
Mihi maximè placent impressiones sonituum apud Orberg. Admirabilia sunt ut exemplaria.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Estoniacus Inoriginale »

http://www.poetaexmachina.net/

This is the only Latin text to speech audio program. It is as good as can be, aside from lack of nasalized final m vowels and the elision and synaloepha have little variation. In nonmetric text it should vary the compresse forms a bit, which it does not, other than that it at times has mistakes in vowel quanity. But if the maker of this post ends up pronouncing Latin like that text to speech converter, he will be well off.
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4 ... age&fmt=18

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

It's not the only one, Estoniacus Inoriginale. I have build a more powerful one that's been working for three years (and I've published on it) and I know of another (using the MBROLA engine http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html).
Non est machina unica, Estoniace Inoriginale. Ego unam validiorem factus sum iam tres annos (et prodidi) et unam aliam esse scio.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Estoniacus Inoriginale »

Thanks for letting us know! It will be cool if it gets online somewhere sometime. I could use another one, because the one I posted a link to is too androgynous.
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4 ... age&fmt=18

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Gonzalo wrote: I have no experience with the audio offered by Orberg himself at http://www.pullins.com/txt/LinguaLatina.htm#set_1 but I've heard that they are fairly good ones and they've been recorded by Orberg himself. I encourage you to follow and post every doubt which arises.
I also highly recommend Alatius' and Metrodorus' sites.
Very impressive information: the websites as well as the Orberg demo. Thanks a bunch. I'll order the CD pretty soon.
James

jambus572
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jambus572 »

Wow, that radio station is really good!

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Re: Nuntii Latini

Post by rustymason »

Oops, never mind. How do I delete this post?

persequor
Textkit Member

Post by persequor »

Anybody like the pronunciation used by greeklatinaudio.com for the Vulgate? The site uses a pronunciation similar to modern Latin American Spanish.

Persequor
Dewayne Dulaney
Devenius Dulenius
Carpe diem!-Poēta Rōmānus Horātius, Carmina (Odes), a.C. XXIII/DCCXXXI A.U.C.
Blogus meus: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Rusty,

After you make a post, there are a bunch of little icons in the upper right hand corner of your post. One of them is an X, like the one in the upper right hand corner of a Windows application, that closes the app. Clicking on that X should delete the post, as long as no other posts follow or responds to it. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the rules are.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Or, now that I look at my last post, maybe not. Textkit had to make a fool of me, as if I don't do that easily enough all by myself. Where did the X icons go to?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!