Textkit Logo

Lesson IV, Eng. to Gr. translation

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Lesson IV, Eng. to Gr. translation

Postby PeterD » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 am

Thet have many plans, but (they are) cowardly (ones). [Words in parentheses are not to be translated.]

The first part of the sentence above is easy enough: πολλὰς βουλὰς ἔχουσιν. It's the second part that I'm not too sure. Because we are told not to translate the words in parentheses, should I treat it as a simple sentence instead of a compound sentence? Paul, in his answer key (www.greekgeek.org), has δὲ κακάς, btw.

Thanks.

p.s. This is my second go at Pharr. Last time I left off in Lesson 20. What happened? Life happened. Seriously, a beautiful baby girl! Anyway, it will be "steady as she goes" this time, and, hopefully, in a year's time, I will have completed this wonderful, yet rigorous, text.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Lesson IV, Eng. to Gr. translation

Postby annis » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:22 pm

PeterD wrote:Because we are told not to translate the words in parentheses, should I treat it as a simple sentence instead of a compound sentence? Paul, in his answer key (http://www.greekgeek.org), has δὲ κακάς, btw.

Treat it as a continuation, or clarification, of the first. I'd use κακὰς δέ.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Thank you, W. You're a scholar AND a gentleman.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone here at textkit.

p.s. What took you so long? I was beginning to worry. :)
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby jaihare » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:26 am

annis wrote:
PeterD wrote:Because we are told not to translate the words in parentheses, should I treat it as a simple sentence instead of a compound sentence? Paul, in his answer key (http://www.greekgeek.org), has δὲ κακάς, btw.

Treat it as a continuation, or clarification, of the first. I'd use κακὰς δέ.

I'm very excited that textkit has gone Unicode! This is my first post on the new forum. Kudos to the admins for the update. :)

Just wanted to comment to remind Peter that δέ is postpositive, which means it has to follow the first word of the sentence or clause that it is attached to. You will not find δὲ κακάς, but only κακὰς δέ, as annis stated. Remember "postpositive."

Best wishes,
Jason Hare

P.S. I'm about in the same place as you are in Pharr's book. I'd love to bounce things off of you. I took three years of κοινή in college, but I feel like this is going to be a real struggle. I don't have a lot of time, but I enjoy language study and would love to have someone to kinda bat things around with.

P.P.S. I didn't realize how out-of-date my reply was. If anyone else reads it and is working in this book, let me know please.
Jason Hare
jaihare@gmail.com

τοὺς θεοὺς εὔχομαί σοι διδόναι ὑγίειαν καὶ σωτηρίαν καὶ ἀγαθὰ πολλά.
jaihare
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners