ScorpioMartianus: Acta Diurna

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

ScorpioMartianus: Acta Diurna

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salvete!

I have opted to record daily news bullettins at ScorpioMartianus:

http://www.ScorpioMartianus.com/

Personally, I feel that Ephemeris and Nuntii Latini are way too slow — they need to be every day (especially "Ephemeris," for Hellas' sake!).

I have also submitted ScorpioMartianus as a podcast on iTunes — I'll let you know when it's been approved and you can access it through iTunes Store to have it automatically loaded.

In the meantime, I'll greatly appreciate your feedback. Gratias, bene valete!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Re: ScorpioMartianus: Acta Diurna

Post by metrodorus »

Excellent. I have added your feed to schola, you will find it on the bottom left of the page.

Evan.
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Awesome! I especially like how you added in "Mars" from Holst's "Planets" suite.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Thanks, Evan! I'm very grateful. :)

I'm glad you like it, Cal! Yes, I noticed how most radio news programmes have a little gingle or signature theme — I couldn't think of one better than Holst's! :D

I'll have to put a credit to Holst somewhere for it — I don't want to end up like Hans Zimmer with Gladiator!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Estoniacus Inoriginale »

Cool new news service. "... bismillensimi octavi... Generalia Motoria... "
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4 ... age&fmt=18

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Brilliant! I like your Latin accent in the English names: "Wall Street Journal". :lol:

Could you give some advice on dictionaries for modern terms? (I own none.) For example, what is your sources/reasoning behind "signali telephoniorum cellularium"?

Some issues:

Rather than Detroītī, I would think that the city would be called Detroĭtum, or maybe even Detro͡ıtum? Cf. this book.

Thessalonīcae, at least in antiquity.

Also, in Programma IV, stăbilis, not stābilis.

Very small things to complain about, but I'd expect the same from you. ;-)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Today's Acta Diurna are posted!

Gaudeo te delectare, Estoniace. :)
Alatius wrote:Brilliant! I like your Latin accent in the English names: "Wall Street Journal". :lol:
Yes, I figured I shouldn't flaunt my mad skillz at pronouncing English. ;)
Could you give some advice on dictionaries for modern terms? (I own none.)
I make use of Traupman's Conversational Latin, Mir and Calvano's "Nuovo Vocabolario della Lingua Latina" (Italian-Latin); I borrow coinages used on Ephemeris, Nuntii Latini, and the Agentura Nuntiorum Latinorum.
For example, what is your sources/reasoning behind "signali telephoniorum cellularium"?
I imagined this short for "campus signalis telephoniorum cellularium," though even "campus cellularis" probably would have been sufficient. The term I was glossing was "cellphone reception." Better suggestions?
Some issues:

Rather than Detroītī, I would think that the city would be called Detroĭtum, or maybe even Detro͡ıtum? Cf. this book.
I ilke it, and it makes sense. I had misread from Traupman, who accents diphthongs in the Greek manner (on the second vowel, not the first).
Thessalonīcae, at least in antiquity.
Ah! those modern Greeks threw me off! :D I thought I was so clever reversing Thessaloniki ... ah well.
Also, in Programma IV, stăbilis, not stābilis.
Got it! thanks.
Very small things to complain about, but I'd expect the same from you. ;-)
I'm extremely appreciative! Keep the feedback coming. :)

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Beautifully and clearly spoken. Very well done, Lucus. If you want more minute feedback, I'll try to listen more carefully later but I love where you're coming from.
Clarè bellèque enuntiatum. Optimè, Luce, factum. Si minutias requiras, diligentiùs auscultare posteriùs conabor, sed certè locum amo undè venis.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Many thanks, Adriane. :) I'm grateful for the feedback.

ScorpioMartianus is now accessible as a free Podcast through the iTunes Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =299578130

You'll be able to "subscribe," and then new episodes will automatically be ready for you when you open iTunes.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Lucus Eques wrote:I imagined this short for "campus signalis telephoniorum cellularium," though even "campus cellularis" probably would have been sufficient. The term I was glossing was "cellphone reception." Better suggestions?
Haha, beats me! At first, I was thinking "telephonium cellulare" was an Americanism, but evidently it is the Italian term as well. Otherwise, I think maybe "t. gestabile" is more common; personally I'd favour it anyway, or maybe "t. mobile". As for "reception"... Nah, I won't venture there now. :wink:

In the last news, you used the form "Beijingi". May I say that I thoroughly dislike this spelling? Why? Because it relies on the rules of English orthography: "Beijing", if pronounced according to English pronunciation, fairly closely emulates the modern standard Chinese pronunciation, [pèitɕíŋ]. That is to say, "b" was chosen in the transcription for no other reason than to prevent the stop from being aspirated, and for similar reasons, "j" is used for [tɕ]. Hence, it is good for English, but to impose this idiosyncratic English orthography on Latin is no less than an atrocity. A saner Latin transcription of the modern pronunciation would probably be "Peitjing" or "Peitsing", or something similar.

But, I see no reason what so ever to not use the traditional Latin rendering of this word, Pekinum (variant spellings: Pechinum or Pequinum), (which was based on the Chinese pronunciation of the city before a sound change [kʲ] > [tɕ].) These spellings, rather than "Pecinum", is of course in order to prevent the velar from being softened in post-classical pronuncation. (Although, as a matter of fact, "Pecinum" would be a very clever spelling, since, if you use a classical pronunciation, you get the traditional Latin form; if you use a post-classical pronunciation, you get closer to the modern Chinese pronunciation.)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I agree! and I was negligent in not confirming the spelling of Beijing in standard Latin, that is "Pekinum."

However, something I have quickly come to note is that the foreign spelling rules of other languages tend to come into the host language whether it likes it or not. For example, how do you render the last name "Schoenberg" in Latin? Well, the same way you handle Oerberg's: it remains the same, and takes the 2nd declension pattern in the other cases. To Latinize the spelling goes too far in both these cases.

For the same reason, I see no cause for spelling "Washington" as anything but "Washingtonius" — with the "sh" because there exsists no better way in Latin without diacritics, the 'g' because, again, it is to be pronounced with 'ng', and the "w," even though the was not a Classical letter, it in no way conflicts with the other Latin letters. Thus, "Washingtonia," the city should be similar.

We exspect nothing less in English: "François," "Rizzi," "Bach," "Emoto," "Cortés" can be spelled no other way than the original. I believe in using the Latin form of first names, where applicable, and to Latinize the last name appropriately as to show case. So my logic in accepting "Beijingi" in my recording is that, this is a Chinese spelling convention, albeit with English-speakers in mind, and that it might stay the same in Latin — for the same reason, we say "Thessaloniki" in English, and not "Thessalonica" or "Salonica."

But I still agree that it should have been "Pekinum," or maybe even "Pecinum!" as you suggest. It shall be in the future.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Lucus wrote:"cellphone reception." Better suggestions?
Surely "receptio" is the right word for this, unless you wish to say "the range of reception" or "signal range" or "signal field": "receptio telephoni portabilis" vel "cellularis" (alterutrum—similiter, "telephonium"/"telephonum")
Nonnè hîc "receptio" verbum rectum est, nisi "campus receptionis" vel "campus signalis" significatur.
Last edited by adrianus on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Post by metrodorus »

Any chance you could also record a secondary version for youtube, after you've made the audio recording ?
This could really be good for you - google picks up youtube videos, so you would get search engine points - and it would give you more points of contact.
I run http://latinum.org.uk which provides the Adler Audio Latin Course, other audio materials, and additional free materials on YouTube.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

That is a brilliant idea. I'll get back to you on that.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Re: ScorpioMartianus : Acta Diurna

Post by Lucus Eques »

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

Luce, you've reached your bandwith limit. Maybe it's time to upgrade your hosting account? :D I hope costs won't go too high, but I for one would be willing to donate a few dollars to help.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Yes! I'm in quite a pickle. I already have a lot of people asking me what's up. The site got too popular! Darn. Thanks for letting me know, and also thanks for the offer. I'll see what I can do. I'll update you all quam primum.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Post by metrodorus »

Off the cuff thoughts......One possible solution is to use blogger,and create a new blog for this, but upload your 'videos', not raw sound files, which blogger now lets you do.

Another, is to use mypodcast.com - not satisfactory, but an acceptable alternative.

You do still have your Youtube channel. You could leave the main site as text only, and link to the audio on YouTube for each entry.....also not entirely satisfactory...

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Another possibility, which I have adopted, is to let Archive.org host your files. This is free of charge, but you will have to release your files under a Creative Commons license. So, if you want to have "all rights reserved", it's not for you.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Am I the only one still getting the following message?

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded - The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later. - Apache/1.3.37 Server at http://www.robertranieri.com Port 80"

I only ask because no-one else has commented the problem lately - which I assume they would have if the new Acta Diurna had remained inaccessible to them.

How many 'days of Latin' have I missed...? :(

Cheers,
Int

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

None, luckily, or unluckily rather. I have not yet resolved the problem, and no one can access any new news till it is, so I haven't made any more. :(

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS